Interesting Article on Wild Nuts

Home Forums General Discussions Interesting Article on Wild Nuts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here's a link to an interesting article on using wild nuts, such as black walnuts or a kind of acorn:

We have lots of black oaks in our woodlands, but we have not been successful in our limited attempts to shell them for use.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

My mother in law had a couple of Black Walnut trees, they're still there, those things are squirrel magnets. I have a Bur Oak in the front yard, the chipmunks and squirrels go nuts over it. The sidewalk and yard get loads of acorn shells.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We have an oak tree on our lot that was there when we built the house in 1996. I don't recall it having ever produced many acorns, though. The arborists we've used have never agreed on what type of oak it is, the most common identification is chinkapin.

We planted two chestnut trees in the front yard a few years, they haven't started producing nuts yet, though I've seen catkins in the spring twice. (One of them is not doing as well, and it takes two healthy trees to cross-pollinate and produce nuts, I may wind up replacing that tree.)

Italiancook
          Participant

Deleted. The Amazon link didn't work.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We have a black oak in front of the house, which drops some of its acorns into the lake. The ducks love them. Squirrels and chipmunks go for the ones that hit the ground. We have a wonderful white oak in the back. The squirrels and chipmunks love it, as do the deer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.