What are you Baking the Week of December 17, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 17, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've used that method or variations on it. I take a big bowl, heat it with near-boiling water (an instant hot water tap is great for that), pour the water out, then invert it over a platter with the stick of butter on it.

chocomouse
      Participant

Len, that trick to softening butter sounds great, and thanks, I'm glad to know it works.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Mike your chocolatines and especially croissants look awesome, great job.I like those with chicken salad.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I thought the croissants were just a bit overdone, especially on the bottom, but there's only one left after supper tonight, so they must have been OK. It wouldn't surprise me if I make them again in a few days, my son and granddaughter are both here and enjoyed both the chocolatines and the croissants.

I might make bagels tomorrow or Friday, and I'm about out of semolina bread, so I'll probably make that tomorrow.

I was pleased that our granddaughter seemed to enjoy the chicken and mushroom dish I made to go with the croissants, too.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Today's semolina bread, I'm working on making sure my loaves are consistently shaped, these two look pretty similar.

IMG_0787

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Your loaves look wonderful, Mike--as do the croissants. You are fortunate to have an appreciative audience to help you consume your baking.

I cannot believe that, just like last week, it has taken until the middle of the week for me to be baking. I spent two days doing our Christmas cards, so that was where the early week energy went. I am planning a baking-heavy rest of the week. I began on Thursday by baking my Sourdough Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers from dough I made a week ago.

I also baked my adaptation of the King Arthur Sandwich Rye Bread. I have been tweaking the recipe and getting closer to what I like, which is more wholegrain. When I type it up for me, I will call it Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread.

chocomouse
                Participant

I'm looking forward to your new recipe, BakerAunt. The Sandwich Rye Bread is one of my favorite recipes. I often substitute pumpernickel for the medium rye.

Today I made garlic knots, to serve with the Christmas Eve ham. I need to decide on another kind of roll, to make tomorrow, for those who don't eat garlic.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

BA, does the sourdough cheese cracker dough have a best-by date on it? I made a batch over a week ago and what with picking up my son and granddaughter and all the other holiday stuff, it's still in the fridge.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Mike--I'm not sure if there is a best-by date. It may depend on the kind of starter you have. I use a milk-based one, and it does fine after a week. I may even have gone a day or two longer. I try to bake the crackers in about five days.

I would say sniff the dough, and if it smells funky, don't use it. You could also do a test batch.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I made Buckeye Bars. Not sure they belong under "Baking" because they are no bake. But they are also no cook. The best part is they taste just like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and who can resist peanut butter and chocolate?

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked Braided Cranberry Ricotta Bread. See the thread "Would Cranberry Relish and Ricotta Work in a Sweet Roll?"--which details how this recipe came to be and how I baked it.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I began baking all the cookies I've been making and freezing for the previous 3 weeks. I have a couple more dozen to bake.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Yesterday I made a batch of oatmeal cookie dough and divided in half, I put coconut in one half and rum soaked raisins in the other half. I baked those and also baked the Noel Nut Balls and chocolate chip cookies.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I made marbled rye bread, Diane made oatmeal-raisin-date spice cookies.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I baked 3 dozen Pfeffernusse cookies on Saturday.

I also made dough for Zimtsterne (Cinnamon Stars), which I will bake tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.