What are you Cooking the Week of December 31, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 31, 2023?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

What a lovely, exciting gift, Joan. You will make many wonderful memories with that mixer! I'm glad that you had a good Christmas with family and friends. I've been thinking about you.

I made yogurt on Wednesday. As my husband and the dog eat some of the tub of Stonyfield yogurt that I use as a starter, there was not going to be enough for a batch tomorrow, so I used the last of the jars I made the previous week as the starter. I can only get the Stonefield yogurt in the larger town when we shop, and we want to put off the shopping trip until at least next week.

Tonight, we had more leftover turkey and gravy and finished the dressing. We also had applesauce and microwaved frozen peas and carrots.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I hope that KA works out well for you, Joan!

Tonight I had a stuffed pepper, roasted potato and a little broccoli.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

No cooking for me tonight I had a big lunch with my niece so it's yogurt and fruit for me tonight.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had mac and cheese tonight.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made muddled mashed potatoes on Thursday to go with leftover turkey and gravy. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli and finished the applesauce.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I chargrilled chicken breast with fresh stewed squash & onions.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I ground up a steak I had in the freezer (along with a couple of carrots) and made a small burger for lunch and a larger burger for dinner. I put the carrots through after the beef to push through the meat that's left in the grinding plate. I have enough ground steak left for the exact same tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Grilled a hamburger patty with a big salad full of blue cheese.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made split pea soup, using the Christmas ham bone.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We ate leftover mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey, coleslaw for me, and microwaved frozen peas and carrots for my husband.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had Diane's postponed birthday dinner tonight, Veal Zurich, using some of the veal cutlets I got in Omaha last Friday.

Very good, but the cream sauce was a little too thick. I should have added more veal stock at the end, or used a bit less cornstarch.

I tried to make rosti, the Swiss take on hash browns and the classic accompaniment to Veal Zurich, they didn't hold together, not sure if that was not having the potatoes shredded finely enough (I used a mandoline with a julienne blade) or not enough butter, or just not enough practice. We decided we like it better on spaetzle or toast, anyway.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Thanks for reminding me, Mike. I love rosti!! and learned to make it when we lived in Germany. But I've not made it for a couple of years -- way too much butter, but so good. It's now on my "future menus list".

navlys
                            Participant

I bought a rotisserie chicken at Winn Dixie on our first evening in Florida. The next evening I made chicken noodle soup with the broth I made from the bones. Couldn't find a strainer so I had to buy one. Of course the next day I found one in our unit.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Navlys--rotisserie chicken is one of my go-to meals when arriving at a vacation location or returning home from vacation.

You never know what a vacation rental will have in the kitchen. I have a box where I store my travel kitchen items and select from it before a trip. Still, I recall having to buy a sheet pan at one place. And don't get me started on what passes for a skillet, usually with lots of scratches.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.