What are you Baking the Week of December 31, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 31, 2023?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I don't have any immediate baking plans. My son did ask me to send him the Forgotten Chocolate Meringue cookie recipe from the Washington Post. The recipe says it is an easy meringue recipe, I'd go along with that. You put the dry ingredients in the mixer, mix to combine them, then add the egg whites and mix until all the dry ingredients are absorbed, no need to whip the egg whites. Then you add the vanilla and nuts and start scooping.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked a cherry pie with streusel topping, using jarred Morello cherries from Aldi's. We will have it for dessert after New Year's dinner tomorrow. My husband particularly wanted cherry pie.

The outer crust rim again got too dark. Next time, I will bake, tented for 55 minutes rather than 45 before removing the foil and letting it go another ten minutes. It seems to need more time than a blueberry streusel pie. I adapted the blueberry streusel pie technique for the cherry pie.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I have a pie shield that I put on about half way through baking, it keeps the edge from getting so dark.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did another Ricotta Cranberry Sauce pizza. It came out beautifully. This used up the rest of the ricotta and most of the remaining cranberry sauce. I added a tablespoon or two of sugar to the dough to add a little sweetness, and some potato flakes to help it stay moist. I also had to add just a little more water. The bread pased was light and fluffy and stood up to the weight of the toppings very well.

The brownies I made last week improved in flavor and texture after storage. I am sort of surprised that it only took two people a week to finish off the brownies. I had about a days worth in small pieces in a container at room temperature, while the bulk was kept refrigerated.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made a dozen sticky buns.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a batch of sandwich/burger buns.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I did bake 5 coconut pies, Cuban lunch box candy and peanut brittle and cashew brittle for Christmas that I gifted to friends.

I've got to make more pie crusts for the freezer and my sister-in-law wants me to make divinity. I've never made it but I'll try.

I have been keeping up with you all just silent here.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Pumpkin Pecan Bread. I used a Nordic Ware loaf pan that features three gingerbread men and a holly border. I did not get to use as many of my Christmas pans this year, so I wanted to use at least one more during these twelve days of Christmas.

Joan--I remember my mother making divinity, but I have never tried doing so.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Divinity and nougat are similar, both have sugar and egg whites (nougat has honey while divinity has corn syrup or maple syrup.) They're made differently, so divinity is softer.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made the dough and shaped Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls on Friday evening and have refrigerated the pan overnight. I will bake them tomorrow. If you are interested in the details, see the Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls thread.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We were running low on bread, so on Saturday afternoon, I baked a loaf of my Pumpernickel Sandwich Bread, which is part of my continuing attempt to get the recipe just the way I like it.
                          The ideal flour amounts appear to be 3 cups Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour and 2 cups King Arthur pumpernickel. I had 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. pickle juice left, so I used all of it and did not add more than ¾ cup water. The hydration was perfect this time. I also cut the salt back to 1 tsp., since the pickle juice adds salt. I'm still experimenting with ideal spices. This time I used 1 Tbs. caraway seed, 2 tsp. dill seed, and 2 tsp. mustard seeds. I again increased the oil from 3 Tbs. to 4, and I used avocado oil, which seems to keep the bread softer longer. The rise this time, unlike when I baked it in November, was ideal. The loaf is cooling on a rack, and the height is excellent. I look forward to turkey sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

chocomouse
                          Participant

That sounds similar to the amounts I use for pumpernickel, BakerAunt, although I don't measure the spices. I need to make more pickle brine, since I never buy or eat pickles, and I do believe the pickle juice greatly improves the taste and texture of the bread. I'm curious - are you using dill or just any pickle juice?

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Chocomouse--I use both pickle juice and dill seed. I buy a German pickle at Big Lots, when they have them and we are close enough for me to go to that store. For me, that juice is just right for the bread and for my potato salad. Last time, I bought three enormous jars. We are still consuming the second one, as I told my husband he can only snack on them occasionally so that I have them available for potato salad and tartar sauce. I will need to stock up again next time we are near South Bend.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.