What are you Cooking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking β€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 24, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's Christmas eve, so I'll be making a batch of chili today and oyster stew in the evening.

Monday I'll bake the ham, my son is going to make the potato casserole. (He made 3 batches of it for a dinner he organized for around 35 people two weeks ago.)

I'll make the DGBC.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I roasted two pie pumpkins. I set aside enough for the pie I will bake tonight and froze the rest.

I also made applesauce.

I made chicken salad from leftover chicken from last week, which we had on the rye bread I baked several days ago. We had some warm applesauce with it, and Pfeffernusse for dessert.

cwcdesign
        Participant

We had our Christmas dinner tonight of slow roasted tenderloin with bernaise sauce, roasted potatoes and asparagus. It was delicious.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of oyster stew and chili, with a relish tray and a dessert platter of cookies and candies. Then we opened one present each. (Diane actually got 2 of them, because one was one I figured she'd want to use tonight and the other was one I really wanted to give her this evening.)

cwcdesign
            Participant

Sounds wonderful Mike! Merry Christmas.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Today my wife assembled two trifles (a big one and a smaller one with remains of the pastry cream and fruit.)

David is making the potato casserole, the ham will go in the oven around 4:30.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For Christmas dinner, I roasted sweet potato chunks, which we had with ham, green beans (frozen this summer from our garden), and applesauce, with pumpkin pie for dessert.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I hope everybody had a good Christmas. We woke up to a white Christmas, with about 5 inches of snow through late afternoon.

Our day got off to a fun start when we saw the neighborhood fox running through the back yard this morning. My son managed to catch a picture of it.

fix

I'm still stuffed from supper!

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

We haven't seen our resident fox for a couple of weeks, Mike. About a mile from here, there were two dens of rabid foxes a few months ago, which Fish and Game trapped; it might have been part of that crew. However, last night we saw, on camera, the bobcat saunter through the back yard.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

They've had a few instances of big cats (probably cougars) in trees in suburban Omaha and I think one wandered into a building at the Veteran's Hospital in Lincoln a year ago, but so far we haven't seen any big cats in our neighborhood. We do see coyotes, though not recently. A mile or so from here there's a woods with a resident flock of turkeys, we see them along the side of the road frequently. Down by the middle school I've seen some game birds (probably pheasant) just standing in the road, in no hurry to get out of anyone's way. A neighbor tells me they see ducks and geese in their front yard on their security camera, there are several hundred geese that are full-time residents at nearby lakes and ponds, the Merlin app hears them frequently flying over.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I think we'll be eating leftovers of some kind for most of the next week. I did make bagels today so we've got 3 different bread options.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I pulled a 10 ounce steak from the freezer and ground it up and made stuffed peppers with it. Had one for tonight's dinner and one will be for tomorrow.

For Christmas, I was invited to a neighbor's, so that was no cooking for me but I did bring a pan of cookies (oatmeal coconut, oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip and Noel nut balls). We had Italian sausage, penne pasta, fried chicken, roast potatoes, and a real delicious eggplant parm. There were plant based meatballs there too but I missed them (one of their son's and daughter in law are plant based eaters but I saw her munch on a piece of fried chicken as they were getting ready to leave).

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Sounds like an excellent Christmas dinner, Len!

Mike--A person responding to a Washington Post cooking article on what to do with leftovers remarked that her mother always called them "planned overs." I like that term and am adopting it. Not worrying about what to eat for the next few days frees us to do other activities.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We are having planned overs all week! Then I'll have to cook again, and it will be ham and split pea soup, or maybe a ham and 15-bean soup.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We've got 3 entrees, 2 sandwich meats, 3 kinds of bread and multiple desserts, so we'll probably order hoagies from DaVinci's for supper tonight. πŸ™‚

Nope: Taco Inn. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.