Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 21, 2024? #41657
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      On Saturday I made a small batch of pizza dough, enough for 2 pizzas. Tonight I had the second one, with pork meatballs and green peppers. It was pretty good.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41656
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I like having the grinder for convenience and freshness of the ground meat. It also has 3 different sizes of grinding plates so I can select the size I want. It also came with sausage stuffing tubes, I might be tempted to try some day.

        Ground or shredded carrot can go into just about any ground meat, but the reason I do it is because it helps to push through remnants of the ground meat. To clean it, I use a bottle brush and a nylon bristle brush for the grinding plate, so it's really not too difficult.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41644
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          Italiancook, you have to slice the meat into strips or cubes first and there's the clean up afterwards, but the grinding itself goes pretty fast. Altogether it's a little time consuming but not terrible.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 21, 2024? #41640
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I'm going to have some pork meatballs that I made yesterday, red cabbage and roasted potatoes.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41636
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Yesterday I ground up pork loin chops, sprinkled with fennel seeds, a little salt and oregano. Also a couple of carrots. I made meatballs with it, they taste a little like Italian sausage. I sliced a couple of them and put it on a pizza. I was a little concerned that the loin chops might be too lean but they are fine.

              I'm getting my use out of the grinder attachment for the KA.

              IMG_2152

              IMG_2153

              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              in reply to: Oatmeal, Date and Raisin Spice Cookies #41608
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                According to Youtuber, Glen and Friends (he does a lot of research on old recipes, both baking and cooking) the term shortening originally meant any fat. Solid fat if my memory serves me right.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41604
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  BA, I love making pizza in cold weather, the heat from the pre bake doesn't go to waste!

                  I used up the last of my braided loaf yesterday so I made another small round loaf. It weighed a pound, pre baked. This time I included rye so I did not braid it.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41601
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Yesterday I made a grilled smoked cheddar with fried bologna on the last of my braided bread. I used walnut oil instead of butter (I usually use walnut or olive oil). It looked pretty good but in fact it was a little bland.

                    grilled

                    For dinner I had pork loin chop and red cabbage. Tonight's dinner will be pork loin chop, pasta and carrots.

                    Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41597
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I made pork loin chops, roasted potato and broccoli and carrots.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 14, 2024? #41587
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        For last night's dinner, I made a stir fry with pork, shredded brussels sprouts, carrots and celery. Had it over rice.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 7, 2024? #41575
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          On Saturday, I made a 2 pound pork shoulder. I seasoned it with salt, celery seed and fennel seed and roasted it on a rack at 300 degrees for 4 and a half hours (internal temp was about 185f). It came out pretty good, much of the fat had melted away and it was fork tender. A little dry but nothing I can't live with.

                          pork-shoulder

                          Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 7, 2024? #41557
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            Happy Birthday, Chocomouse!

                            Tonight I made rice and red lentils, brussels sprouts, and sauteed some ham. Not difficult but good.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 7, 2024? #41553
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I decided to make a loaf since I want to make some grilled cheese sandwiches. I don't make loaves often, usually make sandwich/burger buns. I made a basket weave round loaf based on my semolina/wheat/rye recipe but down sized it (made 60%) and omitted the rye (I think rye makes it hard to braid). It's hard to divide an egg to 60% so I separated an egg and used the yolk only in the bread and cooked the white with some ham for lunch. I baked it in a round Corningware dish. And since it's a smaller batch, just for giggles, I used my mini KitchenAid stand mixer to do the mixing/kneading. I think it worked out pretty good. I haven't sliced into it yet, but the finished loaf looks good to me. I was watching a youtube video recently of someone making a round challah basket weave and she lightly dusted the strands with flour before doing the weave to give the strands some separation in the baked loaf. That sounded like a good idea so I did that too.

                              bread‑1

                              bread‑2

                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of January 7, 2024? #41531
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I had ham and cheese on rye (my pizza crust is 25% rye, which might be more than commercially made rye bread).

                                Ham-Pizza

                                There was also mushrooms, green peppers and onions hiding under the cheese.

                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 31, 2023? #41504
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I ground up a steak I had in the freezer (along with a couple of carrots) and made a small burger for lunch and a larger burger for dinner. I put the carrots through after the beef to push through the meat that's left in the grinding plate. I have enough ground steak left for the exact same tomorrow.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 2,650 total)