What are you Cooking the Week of February 11, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 11, 2024?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I was shopping with friends today so it was rotisserie chicken and a salad.

chocomouse
      Participant

I made a dozen egg muffins for my husband's future breakfasts. I also made egg salad for sandwiches for dinner. The price of eggs has gone up significantly in the past few weeks; today they were 4.99 a dozen for large eggs.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

4.99 is ridiculous ,thankful my sister in law just gave me a dozen fresh eggs from her chickens.I had a calzone I bought yesterday while shopping, was pretty good with grapes and a banana.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Egg prices are up here, but it was about $2.18 a dozen at Aldi's when we shopped about ten days ago. Eggs usually go up as Easter approaches. but perhaps the hens do not lay as much in the winter in cold places.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

$2.19-$2.29 is what I'm seeing for eggs at places like Aldi and Walmart, $2.89 is what I'm seeing in other grocery stores.

Tonight's butter-poached lobster was very good, the low-carb gnocchi was OK, but felt a bit gritty, maybe that's the almond flour. I made an alfredo sauce to go with the gnocchi, I think it clashed with the lobster, the original recipe recommended a lemon-butter-tarragon sauce; we tried a few with lemon-butter from the lobsters, that was an improvement.

I also made a low carb hot fudge sauce to go with some reduced sugar ice cream for dessert in a while. I think it'll be OK on the ice cream with some strawberries, but it isn't the same as real hot fudge sauce. (I've yet to find a recipe for hot fudge sauce that matches what I get through soda fountain suppliers. Of the ones at the grocery store, Mrs. Richardson's hot fudge sauce is the one I like best.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made yellow split pea soup for dinner tonight, adding some ham I had in the freezer. We have had about 1 ½ inches of snow since mid-morning, and it is sticking, so soup is perfect.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We got a dusting of snow overnight, under 1/2 inch.

We had a rotisserie chicken for supper.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm making keto-friendly egg custard tonight, using allulose instead of sugar and 1 part cream to 3 parts water.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The custards taste like custard, though they could probably have used a little more allulose. (Allulose is about 75% as sweet as sucrose.) Diane thinks more vanilla would help.

They did dome a bit in the middle, something I've never seen custard do before, but they collapsed as they cooled.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made cream of celery and leek soup for supper tonight. I kept the recipe fairly simple, next time I think I'd add some carrots. I didn't use any spices, though thyme, bay leaf, chives, parsley and sage show up in a lot of recipes, as does bacon and parmesan cheese, so there's lots of room for experimentation. One recipe suggests topping it with roasted hazelnut bits.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I roasted three bone-in chicken breasts and also roasted some sweet potato chunks tossed in olive oil. We had the chicken and sweet potatoes with microwaved fresh broccoli. There is plenty of leftover chicken to use in other meals next week.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

On Friday I made a batch of chicken meatballs to freeze.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.