Sun. Sep 27th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Happy Birthday BakerAunt! #20795
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Happy Birthday BakerAunt! Hope you have a wonderful day!

      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20786
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        Chocomouse, when I use buttermilk I add a 1/4 tsp of baking powder per cup of buttermilk. That might have some affect on the oven spring but I always get nice browning on the buns even when using regular milk. Anyway, I'm glad you like them.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020? #20776
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          The spice is mild. Not impressed with it on the pork chop but I also used it on a chicken burger for lunch, it was really good on that. The spice is a blend of smoked paprika, brown sugar, garlic, dry mustard, ginger, cumin, pepper and salt. Probably made for the tourist trade.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020? #20769
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            My neighbors just got back from a Caribbean cruise and brought me back a spice rub from Bonaire Dutch Caribbean. So I'm using some on pork chops that I am going to bake. Not sure what I'm going to have with it.

            in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 27, 2020 #20763
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I'm not a big cheese eater and don't care for American cheese. In any application where American is used, I prefer mild cheddar. I agree with Aaron about the plastic quality of it.

              in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #20740
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Mike, those rolls look real nice.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20737
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  It baked up very nicely, I probably overbaked it by about 5 minutes. I don't bake pies often enough to nail it down. The bottom crust was nicely browned. The Norpro pie plate is worth the $10. Some of the filing bubbled up on the side, so I had to run a plastic knife over it to loosen it, but after I did that the pie slid out very easily.

                  pie2

                  Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20722
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I bought a Norpro non stick pie plate this past week so I had to make a pie. An apple/blueberry pie. I took 3 apples and cubed them, cooked them down a little with a little sugar and cinnamon, That is the bottom layer. One pint of blueberries tossed with some sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon. That is the top layer. I made an oil crust using Jenny Jones recipe. I have used it before and found that one to be the easiest to use (2 1/2 cups of flour, a little sugar and salt, 1/2 cup each oil and milk - I used grapeseed oil).

                    It just came out of the oven. It's not the prettiest because I made the top crust just a little too small. If it looks good after I slice it, I'll post another pic.

                    Pie

                    Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    in reply to: Cooking as a Science is catching on #20710
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      In the past year or two, Alton Brown did several episodes of Good Eats, Reloaded (not to be confused with the new episodes). In those episodes he corrects or changes certain steps. For example, in a pasta episode he did the traditional method of using a lot of water to boil the pasta in. In the Reloaded episode he changes that to a minimal amount of water, about an inch over the pasta. In fact, he puts the pasta in the pot, then cold water and brings it up to a boil. I've been doing it that way and it works like a charm. It's faster because the pasta is cooking as the water comes up to temp and there is less water being heated. The texture and taste of the pasta is no different from the traditional method of cooking, at least to me although Alton says it makes better pasta.

                      I couldn't find that episode on YouTube but I did find this one in which he talks about the science of cooking pasta as well as some other items.
                      Alton Brown

                      If you have a streaming device, you can view all his episodes (original, reloaded and the return of) on the Food Network Go app.

                      I used to love the cooking channels until they became mostly competition shows. I am not amused by the fake drama and they don't teach anything.

                      in reply to: Making Yogurt in my Kenwood Yogurella YM100 #20688
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I usually buy Fage Greek style, 2%, plain. If I want something added to it, it's usually fresh fruit. Too my surprise I acquired a taste for plain yogurt because I found the sweetened one to be far too sweet.

                        in reply to: Making Yogurt in my Kenwood Yogurella YM100 #20672
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I have a yogurt maker. I used it once. That thing is tucked away someplace now.

                          in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20651
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I'm making stuffed shells. I took 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, a baby eggplant and 2 cloves of garlic and gave it a ride in the food processor. Then I sauteed it all in a little olive oil until it was cooked down. After it cooled down I mixed it with about 1/2 container of Ricotta, put it in a piping bag and filled a half box of shells that I had already cooked. I made a simple sauce from canned tomatoes, just processed them in the food processor, added a little oregano, poured about 1/2 of that in a casserole dish and placed the stuffed shells in it, then covered it with the rest of the sauce. Topped it with some mozzarella and parm. I'll be putting it in the oven in a little while. This is an idea that I've had for a while, I hope it turns out.

                            in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #20605
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Mike, that rye bread looks wonderful. It's been a while since I've made rye, but I might have to do one soon. When I've made it, I usually shape it like you did, but I have made it into a round and also panned it a couple of times. Of course, I've also made them into buns, my favorite form of bread.

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20604
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I used to just bake my buns on a sheet pan but the sides would be pale, so I found those pans at KAF and have been using them for several years. I like them much better this way.

                                Thank you all for the compliments.

                                in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20603
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I had a baked chicken breast, bone in and skin on. I rubbed it with oil infused with a fair amount of grated fresh ginger and garlic. Had it sauteed red cabbage and noodles.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 2,649 total)