What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Temperatures this morning began at 4F and have creeped into the low teens where I live, so it is a good day for baking.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Yeah, it's 8 degrees here at the moment, with a high of 14 and an overnight low down to zero.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I have some roll out pie dough in the fridge that's a few days past it's best by date so I decided to make a small blueberry pie (one pint) because that's what I had on hand. I made it in a foil pie plate, the kind you usually get when you buy a store pie. I just took it out of the oven, it should be cooled down for tonight's dinner.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Len I like to bake my pies in those tinfoil pans,they always brown on the bottom well,good day for pie.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Last year, I pulled out a recipe that I had printed from a now defunct website: Mini Apple Bundt Cakes with Marscapone [sic] Bourbon Cream,” by Brooke Jackson. I thought that I was baking six (1-cup) Bundt cake, but the recipe made a LOT more batter than that, and I was grabbing extra small pans left and right. I baked the recipe again, and this time used a Nordic Ware “Quartet” pan, that makes four small cakes and holds about 8-9 cups of batter. It worked perfectly. I made some changes by substituting ¾ cup barley flour for that much AP and reduced the sugar by ¼ cup. I add 2 Tbs. each of Bob's Red Mill milk powder and flax meal. I probably used more than 3 cups grated apple (about four apples). I wasn’t sure about ¾ cup olive oil. Last year I used ¼ buttermilk, ¼ olive oil, and ¼ cup canola. I don’t use the mascarpone cream topping when serving, which is not needed, but I’m sure would be delicious. The cakes bake 45 minutes in the Quartet Bundt pan.
              I baked the recipe again on Sunday. I kept all my changes except that I used ½ cup olive oil and ¼ cup buttermilk. I used Jonathan apples this year. It’s a wonderful cake, and I’m looking forward to having a slice for dessert tonight, even though I should probably let them mellow overnight. At least, with the quartet pan, I only cut into one. I’ll probably freeze at least two cakes. Using the typo in the title (which is why I’ve left it here), Rottiedogs was able to find the old website last year and post a link here at Nebraska Kitchen to the recipe.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
              RiversideLen
              Participant

Joan, yeah, that foil pan did a pretty good job. The only thing is with it being rather shallow, it didn't support the high fluted edge I made on the crust, so that melted down in the oven. Good thing I had it on a sheet pan. The pie turned out pretty good except I put in just a little too much thickener (tapioca), I'll have to measure more carefully next time.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The last several pies I've baked I did in my Norpro non-stick pan, which really is non-stick! After it cools, I slide the pie into another pie tin for cutting, if it is going to my wife's office I use the aluminum foil ones.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

This one, Mike? Pie Plate Does it brown the bottom crust?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Yep, that's it. It does a pretty good job browning the bottom crust for apple and cherry pies, the time I made a pecan pie I par-baked the crust first. I don't like a soggy pie crust, either.

Let the pie cool completely, give the pan a twist and it comes free (if it was stuck at all) and you can transfer it to another pie plate. But do it carefully, one time it nearly slid right into and out of the other pie plate and off the countertop!

There's a post on the BBGA forum today that mentions Canadian butter tarts, so of course my mind has been tasting butter tarts all afternoon. (Even the ones in the grocery store in Ottawa were good.) I might have to make some tomorrow, possibly using a sable breton crust. I might make some pastry cream as well, the mousseline tarts (shown at the bottom of this page) were excellent.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Monday, I baked Yogurt Rye (Chleb Misezany) from Stanley Ginsberg’s The Rye Baker (pp.293-294). I'll put the details on Mike's Coming Through the Rye thread.

As bread was baking, I began rolling out the dough I had in the refrigerator for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. That way I was able to take advantage of the already hot oven (after turning it up another 45F) to bake the crackers.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I was going through the cupboard and found my box of brownie mix is slightly expired so I'm making a pan of brownies. I reduced the oil from 1/3 to 1/4 cup, added a 1/4 cup of buttermilk and tossed in about 1/2 cup of rolled oats, not sure exactly how much as I emptied what was left of the box and subbed buttermilk for the 1/4 cup of water called for on the box. That is pretty much the way I always make brownies from a mix. It reduces the fudginess of it, gives it more of a cake like texture but I like it and I tell myself that since it has oats, it has to be good for me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I started the process of making the sauerkraut rye from TRB last night, and am continuing it today with the soaker. Not sure my rye sour is active enough, as I'm not seeing much bubbling, but it's got a nice sour smell. This recipe includes some commercial yeast, so I'm less worried about the strength of the rye sour. It strikes me that the preferment isn't as wet as the starter (80% vs 100%), I don't know if that is having an impact or not.

I hope it comes out well, the plan is to use this bread for supper tonight.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I made my usual semolina/rye/wheat sandwich buns but this time I used buttermilk. I have not made them with buttermilk before. They got amazing oven spring, they're taller than a big mac, almost 3 inches high. I took a pic to show the height of 2 pans of them, one just about to going in and the other just coming out of the oven.

IMG_0770

This pic might show the baked buns better,

IMG_0771

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

Buttermilk--the miracle ingredient!

skeptic7
                                Participant

I baked a sort of focaccio -- it was going to be a pizza but it was rather dry and rose nicely into a boule form so I just baked it instead of flattening it out and trying to make a pizza. My initial plans were for an apple pizza or cranberry-ricotta pizza.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.