What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made about 2 1/2 quarts of chicken salad this morning, it is best if it is made a few hours before you eat it, so it mellows the flavors.

I think supper tonight will be sirloin steak, mushrooms, and baked potato.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks with sauteed onions,french fries,leftover coleslaw and pork-n-beans.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I had chicken veggie soup and a burger.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had a hot dog earlier today and tonight I'm making Nacho's for supper to eat while we're watching the game.Pulling for Clemson.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I made a hearty soup for dinner using ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill hull-less barley, which I initially cooked in chicken broth for 80 minutes, then allowed to rest. I sautéed onion, celery, and carrot in olive oil, then added ground turkey to brown. I added mushrooms, then the barley, turkey broth, and about 1 ¼ cup of the BRM “vegi-soup mix” (a bit of barley, lentils, green and yellow split peas). I brought it to a boil, then simmered for an hour. I added torn kale leaves and 2 tsp. cider vinegar along with freshly grated black pepper, then covered and allowed to stand for 10 minutes. I added the cider vinegar because another recipe I have (Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash and Barley) brightens up in flavor with just that little bit, and it works for this recipe as well. I'm sure there is cooking science behind it, but I'm not sure what it is.

We had the soup with leftover cornbread.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had omelets and English muffins.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made Chicken Thigh Fricassee and had it with rice and peas.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

No cooking here tonight,still eating leftover BBQ.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For lunch on Wednesday—and it will last into the rest of the week--I made New England Clam Chowder, using the recipe from my 1978 Betty Crocker’s Cookbook (p. 83). I sauté the onion in olive oil rather than bacon grease and forego the bacon. I note that instead of 8 oz. cans, the cans in the store are now 6 oz. I use more potato, and I use 1% milk. What really sets it apart, however, is an innovation from my college roommate, Marianne, of adding ½ tsp. celery seed.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I like to use corn that has been roasted on the coals last fall, and then frozen for winter use in chowder. The kernels get a little charred, and turn a golden brown to a black (burned! not so tasty). It gives the soup a smokey flavor - not quite the same as bacon, but a healthier smokey. I wonder if roasting the kernels (or whole ears?) in the oven would accomplish the same thing?

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with lettuce and tomato salad stirred with mayonnaise and garlic toast.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

That is an interesting idea, Chocomouse. Maybe a google search is in order?

My husband cooked some thin-sliced boneless pork for Wednesday's dinner. I roasted a cubed butternut squash and combined it with farro (1 cup cooked in 2 cups turkey/chicken broth), and some thyme. We had microwaved frozen peas as well.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I offered my wife a choice of stir fry with bell peppers or sirloin steak with mushrooms and a baked potato for supper, she chose the latter.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I fried bacon tonight with greens out of freezer and fresh potato salad.

My dang internet is acting up so I've gotta check all.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Good luck with the internet issues, Joan.

Dinner on Thursday was stir-fry, using the leftover pork and the pan drippings, as well as carrots, celery, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and some kale, along with soba noodles.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.