What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Dinner on Thursday was “One-Pot Tarragon Chicken Mushrooms, & Rice,” a recipe that came from "The Splendid Table,” and which I’ve now made four times. I use half brown rice and half mixed wild rice (for a total of 2 cups) and adjust the broth accordingly. I was cooking six chicken thighs, so I reduced the rice to ¾ cup of each. I do not have shallots, so I used 1 Tbs. Penzey’s dried onion that I rehydrated. I decided that ¼ tsp. dried tarragon per piece of chicken is a good ratio. I was able to cook it in my Chantel casserole dish (from when Chantel was made in Germany about twenty years ago), which moves nicely to the table as the serving dish. I like making this recipe for us, but it would also work well for a dinner party. We had microwaved fresh broccoli as well.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight I had a hot dog and my husband wanted salad.

Took my husband back to doctor today for a steroid shot,they gave him a nebulizer and meds and redone all the meds from before.Thanks for all the prayers and now I think he's truly getting better.He has lost about 10 pounds and he is skinny already so that's not good.His appetite was better tonight so I pray all will be better soon.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We have a nebulizer that we use when one or the other of us gets a bad cold, I have a tendency to lapse into bronchitis easily these days, so when I get a cold I have to attack it vigorously.

I'm starting a batch of chicken broth today, with plans to make chicken salad from some of meat for lunch tomorrow and potato leek soup for supper tomorrow.

We're getting snow today, about an inch so far and more expected, a good weekend to stay in.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Yesterday I made stuffed shells and had it with leftover pork roast.

Tonight I'm going to have rotisserie chicken, left over whipped sweet potato and red cabbage.

For breakfast I made blueberry compote and pancakes. I make my compote in a way that most of the berries remain whole. I take about 25% of them in a pan with a little sugar and a tablespoon of water, after it heats up a little I mash them as best I can and let them simmer for a couple of minutes, then I fold in the remaining berries and heat them through, a slow simmer for a minute and then that's it. And a splash of fresh lemon juice.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

That compote sounds good Len.
              Tonight we had BBQ pulled pork & brisket from a local BBQ and I made coleslaw and baked beans.(My husband ate really well today that steroid shot worked a miracle yesterday!)

Italiancook
              Participant

I'm going to make a western frittata in a couple of hours. Eggs, potatoes, ham, green peppers & red peppers with a little salsa mixed in with the eggs, garnished with the last of the parsley. It's going to be dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The potato leek soup was excellent, as usual. I made croutons from both Vienna bread and semolina bread, can't say I could tell much difference between them.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Left over BBQ here and coleslaw tonight.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.