What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020?

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

The maple syrup I have is labeled as "Grade A dark color with robust taste". When I've made Chewy Maple Cookies with it (also using the maple flavoring sold by KAF in place of the vanilla) the flavor is great. That is the cookie I always get compliments on. I also add some rolled oats to it to firm up the dough a little.

I made my usual semolina/rye/wheat sandwich buns yesterday topped with KAF Everything Bagel topping. While doing so, I noticed that some of my KAF baking supplies are low and I just missed out on a free shipping offer. But, I know those offers are like busses, if you wait long enough another one will come along. If I recall, they usually have an offer around Valentines Day, I can wait that long.

chocomouse
      Participant

A few years ago, maybe 7-8 years ago, maple syrup makers in the US changed the labeling of maple syrup to match the labels used in Canada. This is what we have been using to help our customers to learn the new language:

OLD: “Fancy” or “Vermont Fancy”
        NEW: Grade A | Golden Color and Delicate Taste
        This is the lightest of the new maple syrup grades and highly recommended for drizzling over waffles, pancakes, or ice cream.

OLD: Grade A Medium Amber, Grade A Dark Amber
        NEW: “Grade A | Amber Color and Rich Flavor”
        This grade of maple syrup is a little more flavorful and works well when cooking and baking.

OLD: Grade A Dark Amber, Grade B
        NEW: “Grade A | Dark Color and Robust Flavor”
        This grade of maple syrup is even stronger in flavor, and is best used for recipes that require a heavy maple flavor.

OLD: Grade C
        NEW: “Grade A | Very Dark and Strong Flavor”
        This grade of maple syrup is very strong, and probably best used as a substitute for molasses and for making maple flavored candies.

Notice the use of two key words, one describes the color, the other the taste. "Dark, robust" is what most of us use for cooking (and for everything at my house!). It is the same syrup (that is, it meets the same density requirements that the "old" syrup met) that was formerly called Grade B. It's still a fairly mild flavor, and most bakers use a tiny bit (as BakerAunt described) of artificial flavoring to enhance the natural flavor of syrup.

Maple sap is officially called syrup when it reaches a temperature of 219.5*F. We begin our initial assessment of the syrup stage using a thermometer, but then use a hydrometer for the final exacting measurement of the density. If, as Mike pointed, the syrup has more water and less sugar, it will not be as sweet; nor should it be called maple syrup if the correct density has not been obtained! I'm not sure that most us can tell the difference that easily. As a side note -- we are hanging our lines this week to start gathering sap for the 2020 season as soon as it runs, usually in early-mid March. The changing weather patterns makes planning ahead a challenge these days.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Chocomouse--that information is good to have.

Aaron--I usually order my dark syrup from Vermont Country Store in the large jars. (I also bought their plastic pour spout lid that fits the jars.) I buy enough to get free shipping--usually three jars, although this time, I might buy four. I bought a quart at the farmers market last year (out of Michigan), and that is what I'm using now.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Thanks for the update, Chocomouse. I wish I lived close enough to be able to sample your syrup. I get mine from a place in Wisconsin; the owner makes the rounds of the farmer's markets in the midwest every summer, usually hitting Nebraska around the 4th of July.

He usually has a limited amount of the dark syrup, you have to know to ask for it to get it. He had some extra dark last time I saw him, but it was only available in gallon jugs.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Thanks CM! This is great.

I usually buy from Costco, which by me has Vermont/New Hampshire (down at my in-laws they have Canadian). If I don't buy from Costco I buy from Trader Joe's. I try very hard not to buy Canadian. BA, I may check out the VT Country Store.

Ironically, it's hard to find CT maple syrup even though I am in CT. I do not tend to see it at farmer's markets and the only farm near me that makes it is the Four H farm. May have to buy some from them next time they have a sale.

skeptic7
              Participant

I am getting a Canadian friend to bring me a can of Very Dark maple syrup, she said that this used to be "#4" before they changed the grading system. I hope it will give a stronger flavor in maple icing. I've tried Light and Medium Canadian Maple Syrup, I have a can of Dark Maple syrup but haven't opened it yet.

chocomouse
                Participant

Aaron, are you anywhere near North Haven, CT? The CT Sheep and Wool Festival is moving to that new location this year, April 25-26 I think. The Justameretree Farm will be vending there and they sell a lot of maple syrup and it's good quality. It's not made in CT (NH, as I recall, but not sure) but it would be lot cheaper than purchasing syrup by mail order and paying for shipping. You could also check out the MA Sheep and Wool Festival - it might be closer and I think the sell it there also.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Hi CM. I am near North Haven. It's about 45 minutes. Thanks for the tip. The Sheep and Wool festival sound like a fun weekend activity!

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.