Sun. Sep 27th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20577
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Mike,I used to make an Old Milwaukee Rye from the RecipeZaar site, I wonder if that's the same recipe. It makes a wonderful rye bread.

      Here's the recipe I'm referring to, Old Milwaukee Rye

      • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
      in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 22, 2020 #20568
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        You'd think with a 50/50 chance and a little knowledge I could get it right.

        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20560
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I made my usual semolina/rye/wheat sandwich buns but this time I used buttermilk. I have not made them with buttermilk before. They got amazing oven spring, they're taller than a big mac, almost 3 inches high. I took a pic to show the height of 2 pans of them, one just about to going in and the other just coming out of the oven.

          IMG_0770

          This pic might show the baked buns better,

          IMG_0771

          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20555
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I'm making a burger, steamed red cabbage and cottage fries.

            in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #20551
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              BA, perhaps that is the strong point of that bread, being the backbone of the sandwich and letting the filling shine.

              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20531
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                I was going through the cupboard and found my box of brownie mix is slightly expired so I'm making a pan of brownies. I reduced the oil from 1/3 to 1/4 cup, added a 1/4 cup of buttermilk and tossed in about 1/2 cup of rolled oats, not sure exactly how much as I emptied what was left of the box and subbed buttermilk for the 1/4 cup of water called for on the box. That is pretty much the way I always make brownies from a mix. It reduces the fudginess of it, gives it more of a cake like texture but I like it and I tell myself that since it has oats, it has to be good for me.

                • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20526
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  This one, Mike? Pie Plate Does it brown the bottom crust?

                  in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20524
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Joan, yeah, that foil pan did a pretty good job. The only thing is with it being rather shallow, it didn't support the high fluted edge I made on the crust, so that melted down in the oven. Good thing I had it on a sheet pan. The pie turned out pretty good except I put in just a little too much thickener (tapioca), I'll have to measure more carefully next time.

                    in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of January 19, 2020? #20507
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I have some roll out pie dough in the fridge that's a few days past it's best by date so I decided to make a small blueberry pie (one pint) because that's what I had on hand. I made it in a foil pie plate, the kind you usually get when you buy a store pie. I just took it out of the oven, it should be cooled down for tonight's dinner.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? #20506
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        BakerAunt, I always mix in some oats (old fashioned) when I make pancakes or waffles, whether I use a mix or make from scratch.

                        in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 18, 2020 #20499
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          It's similar to humus except that it'd made with roasted eggplant instead of garbanzo beans. It's good on pita or as an accompaniment to a sandwich, soup etc.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020? #20498
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I ground up (with my Kitchen Aid food grinder attachment) a pot roast yesterday and made it into meatloaf today. Had it with brown rice.

                            in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 18, 2020 #20489
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              There used to be a middle eastern fast food joint near work, I have had many a bab ganoush and other delicacies there. Unfortunately, his landlord raised the rent by a thousand dollars every other month so he had to move.

                              in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #20488
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                You can sign up for text notifications with USPS. When I have a smart post shipment I always get notified when ever the package hits an arrival and shipment point.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020? #20470
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I had rotisserie chicken and made whipped sweet potato and broccoli.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,801 through 1,815 (of 2,649 total)