Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,771 through 1,785 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21070
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I was planning to make tacos but after dealing with the snow and laundry I lost my ambition so I made a chicken burger (frozen patties) and chicken veggie soup.

      in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21058
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        My Old Milwaukee recipe is a slight variation of a recipe I found on the old Recipezaar which is now food dot com.

        My rye/semolina/wheat bun recipe is a variation of a recipe I found somewhere else, but I don't remember the name. Anyway, here it is, Rye/Semolina/Wheat buns

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 5, 2020 #21028
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I got it but it was a guess.

          in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21027
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I made sloppy joes yesterday, on lightly toasted buns. The same thing for tonight.

            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21026
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Thanks, Skeptic. I don't make roast beef too often but that does sound good. I use my buns for pretty much any bread application, burgers, eggs, peanut butter etc. The recipe makes a soft but sturdy bread. The only thing I don't use it for is grilled cheese.

              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21015
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Mike, I went nuts trying to find it too, but then I searched this site and found I had posted it before. Of course it's easier when doing a full size loaf, you have to be a little crazy to do it for buns or dinner rolls, which I have done. Doing it for buns involves making strands about 15 - 16 grams and smaller for dinner rolls, but here it is,

                https://youtu.be/u_h8GTeDhxA

                Thanks Joan and BakerAunt 🙂 I have to admit, the basket weave is my favorite.

                • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21004
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I made my buns, again with buttermilk but this time I did not add any baking soda. The oven spring, while very nice and good enough, was not as robust. But it really doesn't matter as it is sufficient. So I would say the baking soda when used with buttermilk in a yeast dough does have an affect.

                  I made half traditional shape with KAF Everything Bagel topping and half with the basket weave.

                  buns

                  Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 4, 2020 #20992
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Got it. Love them stuffed.

                    in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #20990
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Mike, I never had that kind of pie but it looks good, I'll take a slice.

                      in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 3, 2020 #20989
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I usually buy shredded mozzarella because it's easier (and yes, it does melt!). When I buy it in a chunk, I like to run it through my KA food grinder for pizza, I really like it that way.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 26, 2020? #20942
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          BakerAunt, your stir fry sounds scrumptious.

                          Yesterday I made a pork loin roast, whipped mashed potatoes and broccoli. Dessert was a cupcake.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20892
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I made cupcakes from a Bobs Red Mills gluten free cake mix. The package calls for 3 eggs, I used two eggs and 2 ounces (by weight) of buttermilk to sub for the 3rd egg. They turned out pretty good. Topped them with chocolate frosting.

                            in reply to: Mediterranean Oil #20864
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              From what I recall, the anti canola oil people say that there are a lot of pesticides with raising it, lots of chemicals used in manufacturing it and it is high in Omega 6 which contributes to inflammation. I'm not sure about the first two things as I have not read or heard about it in mainstream media. But I have heard that you want more Omega 3 than Omega 6. I haven't used it in some time because I don't like the odor when it heats up. I mostly use olive oil, some peanut oil and more recently grapeseed oil, which is also high in Omega 6 but it is neutral in taste and does not have an odor when heated to normal cooking temps.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20831
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I baked a new batch of buns this afternoon, again using buttermilk. I was going to omit the baking soda but just bring myself to it, lol. Maybe next time. Once again, they got wonderful oven spring and are golden brown. One thing I didn't mention before, lately I have been adding a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten to it and that might account for some of the rise. But, the buttermilk ones are still taller than the buns made with regular milk.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20803
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I meant to say baking soda. Anyway, that's interesting Chocomouse and BakerAunt, the cooking shows had me believing that was a rule.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,771 through 1,785 (of 2,649 total)