What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 2Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I’m making Semolina bread today.

Spread the word
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •   What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 3
    •  
    •  
    •  
    What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 4chocomouse
    Participant

I made whole wheat English muffins this morning, and have pizza dough rising now for supper.

What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 5Joan Simpson
    Participant

I baked two loaves of Banana bread today.

What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 6BakerAunt
    Participant

On Monday, I mixed up dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake them near the end of the week.

What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 7skeptic7
    Participant

I have found a brand new method to mess up pie dough. I normally use an oil based recipe. For a whole pie the recipe is
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 cup oil
    1 teaspoon vinager
    1 egg
    water to make a good dough;
    I do this all the time, and it is hard to handle but turns out very well. Its a short crust but crisp and crunchy.

If I do a partial recipe I keep the same portions of oil and flour but normally leave out the egg.

So for some pot pies I had 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 cup oil
    When I mixed this together the pie dough was moist enough and handled fairly well so I didn’t add any water.

I made a turkey pot pie filling with carrots and celery and onions and parsnips and green beans. The green beans were a nod to Thanksgiving. I had this boiling hot and in 4 2 cup corning dishes, then I rolled out the pie dough and placed it on top. I baked this at 350 for 30 minutes until the filling was boiling. The pie dough top never got crisp. It always remained soft and mushy.
    I reheated one pie in the microwave yesterday and it still never hardened up. I didn’t think there was such a thing as too much oil in a pie crust but I seemed to have achieved it. My conclusion is that water is a necessary ingredient in a crust. Anyone else have an opinion of what went wrong? I was nibbling on some crackers as I ate the pie which was very tasty and filling, in order to have something crunchy.

Keymaster

I’ve used Susan Purdy’s hot water crust for large pot pies, it would probably work for smaller ones as well. The last few times I made pot pies I didn’t bother with a bottom crust and I used a circle of laminated dough as the top. I froze them after baking them in muffin tins, they reheat nicely in the microwave.

Participant

These were top crust only. I prefer having a true pie crust to biscuit or batter bread on my pot pies.

Participant

Skeptic–perhaps 350F is too low of a temperature? Maybe try 400F?

Keymaster

Without water, there probably wasn’t much gluten development or starch conversion. You probably don’t need a lot of water for a pot pie crust, but I think you need some.

Participant

On Tuesday evening, I baked Pumpkin Biscotti, using the recipe that Skeptic so kindly posted at Nebraska Kitchen. I make a few changes, one of which is to use white whole wheat flour. I also used slightly more pumpkin this time; it was frozen leftover from the last time I made pumpkin puree. I look forward to munching one tomorrow with tea.

Participant

Mike;
    I think I made Hot Water Pastry once. I used Crisco as the fat. What fat did you use with this? I think this was before I wanted to try oil based pie crusts.

Keymaster

I used a combination of butter and Crisco. Looking at Susan Purdy’s recipe, I see she uses butter and margarine, so I’m not sure if it was her recipe I was using. (It’s been a couple of years since I’ve made it.)

Participant

On Wednesday I baked brownies. My base recipe is the Deep Dark Brownies that I got from KAF over ten years ago. I wanted to reduce the saturated fat, so I made some changes. I deleted the optional chocolate chips (sigh). I replaced one of the three eggs with 1 Tbs. flax meal combined with 3 Tbs. water. I used half the canola oil (1/4 cup) and replaced the other half with buttermilk. I always bake these in a 10×10 ceramic pan that came from KAF; the larger size works better than the 9×9 where it is hard to get the center done without burning the edges. I replaced the 2 Tbs. of coffee with water, because while I can get the espresso powder past my husband, coffee is another matter. I sprinkled the top with some snowflake sprinkles. It baked for 30 minutes on the third rack (slightly above center of oven). Not counting the optional chocolate chips, I reduced the saturated fat from 24g to 18.

I’ll add a note to this post after we try them for dinner, although this recipe is usually better the day after.

Added note: These are fudgy and delicious. I wouldn’t hesitate to bake them again this way.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020? 16BakerAunt.
    Participant

Baker Aunt; congratulations on a successful brownie adaption! I don’t like chocolate chips in brownies but I love nuts.

Mike; I went to look at Susan Purdy’s pie cookbook again and she has a lot of different pie crust recipes, the potato recipe was very appealing too.

Keymaster

Yes, she has a lot of pie crust recipes, and I don’t think I’ll come close to testing them all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.