What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A new year, a new decade, anything new in the kitchen?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Well, I'm either trying to turn the calendar ahead six months or back six months -- to summer! I'm sick of the sleet and freezing rain weather already. So, we're having a cold salad supper -- chicken-grape salad, plain macaroni salad, and a green salad. None of the veggies are fresh from my garden!

BakerAunt
        Participant

Chocomouse--We keep having weather reminiscent of late October or March, with very little snow.

For Sunday dinner—Twelfth Night—we had a rotisserie chicken, accompanied by a stir-fry that I made with farro cooked in turkey broth (from freezer), a roasted delicata squash, and some kale. I seasoned it with some dried thyme. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added information
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Sunday had grilled cheese sandwich and soup.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had a baked potato for supper.My husbands appetite just wasn't here today.Dang it,he is very thin anyway no extra fat on him,I did get a boost drink in him,one half egg this am for breakfast and half a baked potato for supper,he won't drink or eat very little.I'm worried here.I thought he was doing good yesterday and now I just don't know.Say a prayer for him please.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Joan--maybe it is a temporary setback, which sometimes happens on the road to recovery. I will keep you both in my prayers.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday, it was time for the Leftovers Turned into Lunch Challenge. On New Year’s Day, I cooked a bag of black-eyed peas. Although my husband purports to like them, he loses interest after two meals, and there I am with a pot to eat by myself that has no additional seasonings or ingredients. Before we got married, I always cooked them with rice and ham. So, I decided to turn the pot of black-eyed peas and their liquid into lunches for the rest of the week. Since I’m planning to make a dinner tomorrow that uses rice, I tried 1 cup farro, cooked in 2 cups of the bean broth. While the farro cooked (30 min.), I diced some onion, sautéed it in some grapeseed oil, then added a package of cubed ham from the grocery. I added the leftover beans, and whatever liquid remained, along with some minced fresh parsley and some freshly ground black pepper. I mixed in the cooked farro. As I was sitting down to lunch, my husband, who had eaten his usual sandwich decided it smelled good, and that it might be something he could also eat, which a taste with a spoon confirmed. I was hoping for that outcome, which is why I restrained myself from adding a dash of red pepper. I expect that he will eat it at one meal, at least, with me.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Today we had mashed potatoes and gravy,my husbands choice.Good news he did eat a piece of cheese toast this morning and about a cup of potatoes tonight.He also drank a boost and some power ade so I am praying he'll be OK.Thank you all for the prayers.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

That's good news, Joan.

Tuesday night’s dinner was beef stew, so it was an afternoon project, although hands-on time is limited. I use Penzey’s beef base. For vegetables this time, in addition to onion and garlic, I used red potatoes from the local farmers market, “baby carrots,” red bell pepper, and mushrooms, and peas. For seasonings, I used some red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, rosemary, allspice, Penzey’s sweet paprika, 2 bay leaves, freshly ground black pepper, and a Tbs. of sugar. I thickened it with ½ cup water and 3 Tbs. Clearjel. I added a bit of salt at the end to balance the flavors.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added information
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

Dinner tonight was boneless pork chops cooked in a cast iron skillet with sliced potatoes, apples, and onions, and a tossed salad with raspberry white balsamic.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Wednesday afternoon, I made chicken broth from the remains of our rotisserie chicken.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Today I made potato soup and my husband seems to be getting better yay!

chocomouse
                            Participant

That's so good to hear, I know how worried you were. I think it's due to your feeding him so well.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Yesterday I made a small pork roast. Tonight I had a pork roast sandwich and whipped sweet potato.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Joan;
                                  Glad that your husband is doing better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.