What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 2Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A new year, a new decade, anything new in the kitchen?

Spread the word
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •   What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 3
    •  
    •  
    •  
    What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 4chocomouse
    Participant

Well, I’m either trying to turn the calendar ahead six months or back six months — to summer! I’m sick of the sleet and freezing rain weather already. So, we’re having a cold salad supper — chicken-grape salad, plain macaroni salad, and a green salad. None of the veggies are fresh from my garden!

What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 5BakerAunt
    Participant

Chocomouse–We keep having weather reminiscent of late October or March, with very little snow.

For Sunday dinner—Twelfth Night—we had a rotisserie chicken, accompanied by a stir-fry that I made with farro cooked in turkey broth (from freezer), a roasted delicata squash, and some kale. I seasoned it with some dried thyme. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 6BakerAunt. Reason: added information
    What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 7Joan Simpson
    Participant

Sunday had grilled cheese sandwich and soup.

Participant

We had a baked potato for supper.My husbands appetite just wasn’t here today.Dang it,he is very thin anyway no extra fat on him,I did get a boost drink in him,one half egg this am for breakfast and half a baked potato for supper,he won’t drink or eat very little.I’m worried here.I thought he was doing good yesterday and now I just don’t know.Say a prayer for him please.

Participant

Joan–maybe it is a temporary setback, which sometimes happens on the road to recovery. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Participant

On Tuesday, it was time for the Leftovers Turned into Lunch Challenge. On New Year’s Day, I cooked a bag of black-eyed peas. Although my husband purports to like them, he loses interest after two meals, and there I am with a pot to eat by myself that has no additional seasonings or ingredients. Before we got married, I always cooked them with rice and ham. So, I decided to turn the pot of black-eyed peas and their liquid into lunches for the rest of the week. Since I’m planning to make a dinner tomorrow that uses rice, I tried 1 cup farro, cooked in 2 cups of the bean broth. While the farro cooked (30 min.), I diced some onion, sautéed it in some grapeseed oil, then added a package of cubed ham from the grocery. I added the leftover beans, and whatever liquid remained, along with some minced fresh parsley and some freshly ground black pepper. I mixed in the cooked farro. As I was sitting down to lunch, my husband, who had eaten his usual sandwich decided it smelled good, and that it might be something he could also eat, which a taste with a spoon confirmed. I was hoping for that outcome, which is why I restrained myself from adding a dash of red pepper. I expect that he will eat it at one meal, at least, with me.

Participant

Today we had mashed potatoes and gravy,my husbands choice.Good news he did eat a piece of cheese toast this morning and about a cup of potatoes tonight.He also drank a boost and some power ade so I am praying he’ll be OK.Thank you all for the prayers.

Participant

That’s good news, Joan.

Tuesday night’s dinner was beef stew, so it was an afternoon project, although hands-on time is limited. I use Penzey’s beef base. For vegetables this time, in addition to onion and garlic, I used red potatoes from the local farmers market, “baby carrots,” red bell pepper, and mushrooms, and peas. For seasonings, I used some red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, rosemary, allspice, Penzey’s sweet paprika, 2 bay leaves, freshly ground black pepper, and a Tbs. of sugar. I thickened it with ½ cup water and 3 Tbs. Clearjel. I added a bit of salt at the end to balance the flavors.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 6BakerAunt. Reason: added information
    Participant

Dinner tonight was boneless pork chops cooked in a cast iron skillet with sliced potatoes, apples, and onions, and a tossed salad with raspberry white balsamic.

Participant

On Wednesday afternoon, I made chicken broth from the remains of our rotisserie chicken.

Participant

Today I made potato soup and my husband seems to be getting better yay!

Participant

That’s so good to hear, I know how worried you were. I think it’s due to your feeding him so well.

What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 19RiversideLen
    Participant

Yesterday I made a small pork roast. Tonight I had a pork roast sandwich and whipped sweet potato.

What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? 20skeptic7
    Participant

Joan;
    Glad that your husband is doing better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.