Daily Quiz for January 9, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for January 9, 2020

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How long does it take to soft boil an egg?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for January 9, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it, but then I haven't eaten soft-boiled eggs since childhood. Now I know.

skeptic7
        Participant

I remember the egg timers.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I got it.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I missed it but I follow the method I saw on Martha Stewart some years ago. You put the eggs in the pan with cold water, about 1 inch over the eggs, bring it to a boil and then remove it from the heat and cover it. Hard cooked takes 13 minutes but I don't remember the times for medium or soft. Also, I am not interested in any boiled egg that isn't well done, undercooked egg whites are not compatible with me. The advantage is the whites will be tender and never rubbery and there will never be a green hue on the outside of the yolk.

chocomouse
              Participant

That's interesting, BakerAunt - I haven't had a soft-boiled egg since I was a youngster (remember trying to get the egg out of the shell without getting bits of shell throughout the egg??) nor have I seen recipes that call for soft boiled eggs, although plenty of recipes that use fried eggs. Len, I don't like runny slimey!) whites either, only runny yolks. I wonder what is the "standard" for a safe-to-eat egg? I think it is not cooked long at all, but I cannot recall a recipe right this minute.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Egg yolks begin to thicken at around 149 degrees, which I believe is high enough for the egg to be safe. So a 4 minute egg is probably right at the safe point. If you like fried eggs with the yolk runny, that's going to be a similar temperature.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Chocomouse--My mother believed that we should have an egg for breakfast every day. When we were younger, those were soft boiled, then cracked into a dish. I recall liking Alphabet Cereal stirred into it. When we were older, my mother bought one of those egg cookers for cooking 6-8 eggs at a time, and we had hard-boiled eggs. I am glad, after the period of time when nutritional thought said eggs are bad for us, to know that they are actually good for us, and Mom got it right!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.