What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of January 12, 2020?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Friday, I baked a new recipe, “Barley Crispbread,” from Jan Hedh’s Swedish Breads and Pastries (Skyhorse Publishing, 2010), p. 144. I had mentioned this recipe in December at Nebraska Kitchen, since one topping mentioned is lentils. I decided not to use them, as I did some googling and did not find raw lentils used as a topping anywhere. I had some uncertainty about flours. After reading in the introduction, which is not a lot of help, I decided that “wheat flour high in protein” is probably bread flour. For “fine rye flour,” I used Bob’s Red Mill dark rye, which seems fine to me, and I used King Arthur’s pumpernickel for the “coarse rye flour.” I used BRM for the barley flour. I topped with sunflower and sesame seeds. Although it lists pumpkin seeds, in addition to the lentils, the picture does not show pumpkin seeds. I’m not sure that it shows lentils, so perhaps it is flax seed, which I don’t use. The technique for the seeds sticking is an egg wash, seeds, then I covered the dough with waxed paper, and rolled over it. That has kept almost all the seeds in place. Baking time was 20-30 minutes; I found it needed the 30 minutes. I baked it on the third rack up (slightly above the center). After they cooled, I tested one—and my husband had two. They are quite nice—crisp, with just a bit of chewiness, and a natural sweetness, although they have no sugar other than the pinch I added to proof the yeast.

I ended up with 32 10x9cm squares. The recipe states "60 rounds," which is clearly an error, since it directs that the dough be cut into squares.

Quick Note: These are somewhat salty--10g (about 3 tsp.) salt in the recipe. When I bake them again, I will cut it back to 7-8g.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Saturday, I made pancakes or breakfast, using a free mix that Bob’s Red Mill sent me. (Can you tell that I’m a good customer?) It’s an all-in-one mix that includes powdered egg and milk, so all it needs is water. It would be good for camping, or even for quick morning breakfasts for busy people. It makes light fluffy pancakes, which a lot of people prefer. We, however, prefer pancakes with substance, so next time, I’ll probably stir in some quick oats and flax meal

RiversideLen
        Participant

BakerAunt, I always mix in some oats (old fashioned) when I make pancakes or waffles, whether I use a mix or make from scratch.

skeptic7
          Participant

Last Thursday I did a cheese pizza. This is the sort of pizza I do all the time but this time it had far less cheese. I realized later that I was using a cheese plane to cut up the cheese and while the whole pizza was covered it wasn't covered very thickly.
            Saturday I did a buttermilk whole wheat bread with a cinnamon swirl, cooked in the slow cooker. It too about 3 hours to get to 190 degrees and was just great. The cinnamon sugar wasn't as visible as it would have been for a white bread but it was very tasty.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.