What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Mike, we really liked it too - but I agree with you about more cheese. Unlike your wife, I would probably add more peas and definitely more mushrooms. Will asked if I should use the rest of the package of mushrooms, but I always like to follow the recipe as is the first time. I would season the sauce earlier as I'm making it. Sherry sounds like a good idea, BA. I didn't have heavy cream, so used half & half. I'm not sure it made that much difference.

I wouldn't buy turkey just to make it, but it's a great way to use leftover turkey. We're going to make soup with the rest. If you wanted the tetrazzini, you could always use chicken. I know some people buy a rotisserie chicken just to make it.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made yogurt on Friday. I have not been able to buy plain Stonyfield full-fat yogurt for several months, as it is not available at either Walmart or Kroger in the larger town in which we do our grocery shopping. I have had to settle for vanilla flavored full-fat Stonyfield, which adds extra sugar, as well as the vanilla taste. However, something is better than nothing.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We went grocery shopping today and I found KAF white AP 5# for 2 for $5.00, stocked up on that.

No cooking here today I picked up take out from a local BBQ of smoked chicken,corn on the cob, salad and banana pudding.Very good.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Wow, that's a really good price. I think 5 pound bags of KAF AP are running from about $3.89 to $4.99 here. I've been buying 12 pound bags of KAF AP at Costco for $5.99 but they recently went up to $6.99

The Bread Bakers Guild forum has a thread going in which commercial bakers are seeing flour prices increasing by 15-20%.

Italiancook
            Participant

Wow, Joan, what a fantastic price. After months and months of not finding Gold Medal Unbleached AP flour during this pandemic, it has returned. My husband found 4 unbleached 5 lb. bags at each of two stores. I only have room for 2, so he didn't buy more. I'm happy, because now I can use another of Cass' suggestions for the Portuguese bread. He said to use half KAF AP and half Gold Medal AP.

chocomouse
              Participant

I also bought KAF AP on sale, 2 for 5.00, unlimited purchases. What I really wanted was the whole wheat or bread flour for that price. BJs 12 pounds of AP for 7.59 now. Eventually, I'll buy another 50 lbs at the KAF store for whatever the wholesale price is for the day, $28-$30.

Today I made beef stroganoff with mushrooms and onions, and broccoli from the freezer. I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and there was very little difference in taste.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I like the idea of making chicken tetrazzini with a rotisserie chicken, and my wife liked the idea, too, it just requires a bit of advance planning (or chicken stock in the freezer.) She says the biggest problem with the turkey tetrazzini is she keeps thinking it should have tuna fish instead.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Well, there’s another option for protein.

My old recipe used spaghetti instead of egg noodles - the casserole was a different texture. I’ll have to turn on my old laptop to see if the recipe is their. When I upgraded I didn’t move everything over.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My mother once made her turkey tetrazzini when she had people over for dinner (yes, in those days, it was an acceptable invite people to dinner entree) and later found the turkey she was going to use in the refrigerator. So, it works with just the mushrooms and almonds! 🙂

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made a pot of hamburger vegetable soup and fresh pimento cheese for sandwiches.So good and plenty leftovers for later.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Dinner tonight was Salmon and Couscous with Greek seasoning and microwaved fresh broccoli on the side.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I made a seafood casserole, served on rice, with a Greek salad.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.