What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The potato leek soup doesn't taste quite the same as when I make it with chicken stock, but I'm not sure I'd identify it as turkey stock if I didn't know up front that's what it was. But the soup is pretty good, and the hard rolls make interesting croutons.

Turkey stock is a bit stronger than chicken stock, and as I recall goose stock is, too.

Duck stock is different from all of them, I'm not sure why. I accidentally used some duck stock instead of beef stock to make braised mushrooms once, they were fantastic, so I've done it intentionally a number of times.

Veal stock is probably the mildest of all the stocks, which is probably why it is used as a base for many of the classic sauces, because it adds body without really adding distinct flavors.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had a nice visit with my sister,saw 3 beautiful doe's feeding on the side of the road.

We had slaw dogs for supper.

chocomouse
        Participant

We had shepherd's pie and from the freezer more onion and wild rice rolls.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We had the rest of the mashed potatoes with gravy, some more turkey, and more cubed and roasted butternut squash.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had potato leek soup again.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I fried a chicken breast,baked sweet potato,sliced tomatoes and green butter beans.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Wednesday was a day for using up various leftovers in the refrigerator. For lunch for today and into the week for me, I made soup using the water from cooking potatoes earlier in the week and 3 1//2 cups turkey broth for which I had no room in the freezer. I added it to sauteed carrots, onion, minced garlic, and celery, then added 16 oz. of white beans that I had frozen in August, along with a can of tomatoes with hatch chilies. I seasoned it with 1 Tbs. Penzey’s Salsa & Pico, ½ tsp. chili powder, and ¼ tsp. of cayenne (it’s old, so not as strong). I added 1 cup of Christmas pasta that I bought last time I was in a T.J. Maxx, the rest of the kale that was in the refrigerator and finished it off with 1 Tbs. cider vinegar. It tastes great and should give me my spiciness fix.

Dinner on Wednesday used most of the remaining turkey in a stir-together noodle dish. I sauteed carrots, green onion, and mushrooms, then added the leftover turkey gravy, 3 oz. of evaporated milk left over from the pumpkin pie, chopped up turkey, parsley, sage, and thyme. I added the 4 oz. of cooked mushroom-flavored noodles from Aldi’s at the end, along with a bit of freshly ground black pepper. We have enough for another meal. We also finished up the last bit of the roasted butternut squash from yesterday's dinner.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had left over turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, plus a salad with the first picking from the Aerogarden pods I planted last month.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I made turkey tetrazzini from Brown Eyed Baker, since I seem to have lost my old recipe. We really enjoyed it and have plenty of leftovers. I liked that she used egg noodles instead of spaghetti. The sauce wasn’t too heavy and there was the addition of mushrooms and peas.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Leftover spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast and salad.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making turkey tetrazzini today, a riff off the Brown Eyed Baker recipe, with mushrooms, white wine, peas, mozzarella, parmesan, asiago, diced pimentos and fresh pasta noodles.

chocomouse
                          Participant

We had leftover Shepherd's Pie.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We had leftover turkey, noodles, and vegetables from last night with some microwaved fresh broccoli on the side.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My turkey tetrazzini smelled fantastic coming out of the oven, and the taste didn't quite live up to the smell. It's good, but as my wife said, it's nothing to write home about. I wouldn't roast a turkey just to make it. Maybe more cheese and mushrooms (and my wife says less peas) would help?

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I haven't made my Mom's turkey tetrazzini in years, so CWCdesign and Mike are bringing back the memories. Her recipe used wide noodles, mushrooms, turkey, toasted sliced almonds, a bit of sherry, broth, and heavy cream. Parmesan was sprinkled on top. I've tried making the recipe without the heavy cream, and it did not thicken enough. I need to experiment next time we have a turkey again and see if I can create a version lower in saturated fat. The recipe also froze well (without the Parmesan), and it was one of the meals I would make for the freezer back when I needed to have some easy meals to pull out for dinner.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.