What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 28, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Is that carb hangover gone yet?

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

My turkey breast is in the oven now. I took it out of the freezer on Friday morning and this morning took it out of the fridge around 8. At noon, I unwrapped it and while the turkey felt thawed there was still a huge chunk of ice in the cavity. I was able to pull it out easily, but I still needed to run some cool water through the bird. I followed Ina's recipe and she said 1 ½ to 1 3/4 hours at 325º. I always reduce my oven by 14º. So, it's been about the longer time, but it still has a ways to go. I set my chef alarm to 160º and when it went off, I double checked with my instant one - glad I did since I still had more that 20º to go. I repositioned the chef alarm and upped the oven temp to 325º. It's quite possible that the bird was still too cold.

Since we are just having sandwiches with it tonight, there is no deadline for the turkey to be cooked through. I will make stuffing and gravy to go with. Will has made sourdough bread so the sandwiches will be delicious.

Last night I made BakerAunt's crispy fish and chips. I reduced the amount of panko I pre-baked and only baked it for 3 minutes. I tried making the potatoes like the recipe originally recommended, but I needed to use two half sheet pans so they didn't steam. I agree with BA that cutting the potatoes in wedges is the way to go, so will do that next time. I took the fish out at 10 minutes and it was perfect. Definitely a recipe that is now in our rotation. Still need to try the baked panko on oven-fried chicken tenders.

BakerAunt
        Participant

The carb hangover cheerfully continues at our house, although the pumpkin pie and the dressing/stuffing were finished yesterday. We are enjoying turkey sandwiches at lunch. My plan for tonight is to make muddled mashed yellow potatoes (boiled with skins, then coarsely mashed) to accompany leftover gravy and turkey. We will have microwaved frozen peas, as that is the only frozen vegetable available in our freezer. We will be making a big grocery run next Thursday.

CWCdesign--I tried toasting the panko to coat flattened chicken breasts, and we liked it a lot. It did not overbrown in the longer time it takes the chicken to cook.

cwcdesign
          Participant

BA, thanks for the info, I’ll definitely try it

chocomouse
            Participant

For dinner we had leftover ham steak and vegetable lasagna that I pulled from the freezer. So nice to see slices of zuchinni, summer squash, carrots, mushrooms, onions, sweet peppers! And tasty.

Italiancook
              Participant

When my husband went to the store, I asked him to buy chicken. The only instruction I gave him was to make sure it hadn't been injected with a solution. He came home with 6 skinless, boneless, chicken thighs. I didn't have fresh vegetables to make a stir fry, so I went to foodnetwork.com. I chose a Food Network Kitchen recipe called, "Slow-Cooker Chicken Thighs."

The recipe clearly says to coat the insert with cooking spray. I forgot to do that. I warned my husband he might have a mess to clean, since the recipe calls for honey, ketchup, and soy sauce. But all was AOK, and the cooking spray wasn't needed. Clean-up was easy. Recipe calls for a 1" piece of ginger that I don't have. Internet says to sub 1-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, but I'm not a big fan of it. I subbed 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger and am happy how it turned out. I served this on white rice -- Minute Rice, with the sauce spooned on top the rice. I will make this again. I've always been pleased with the Food Network Kitchen recipes I've tried.

The recipe says the cook can make a cornstarch slurry and cook in slow cooker, to thicken the sauce. I didn't do that and don't think it's necessary.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My wife had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, I had leftover veggies and a little turkey, and I've got about 6 quarts of turkey stock for tomorrow, most of which will be used to make potato leek soup. (Usually I use chicken stock for that, it'll be interesting to how much impact turkey stock has on it.)

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've run across a few food network recipes that seemed out of balance, but I think they were restaurant recipes that were scaled down without a lot of testing.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Italian Cook--Did you feel like a contestant on a cooking show when your husband handed you the surprise ingredient? Congratulations on a successful challenge that gives you a recipe to make again.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

I tested the turkey again a little closer to the bone, but not touching it. It still wasn't ready. When the alarm went off this time, the little popper that I don't usually rely on had finally popped. Tested again with the instant thermometer and it was right where I wanted it. It took about an hour longer than Ina recommended. So glad that I didn't have a deadline. The turkey was perfect - moist and tasty. I will definitely buy this brand again, but probably use a smaller pan with vegetables for the rack.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Yesterday we had hamburgers and fries.

Italiancook
                          Participant

Yes, BakerAunt, I felt like I was on Chopped when I pulled the boneless, skinless chicken thighs out of the bag. It felt like a challenge, since I had no fresh veggies. Food Network's website came to the rescue and I didn't have to contend with a panel of judges.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I used up leftovers of lima beans and made bean soup with grilled cheese sandwich.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Monday night’s dinner was more leftover turkey and gravy, along with leftover mashed potatoes from yesterday. I cubed and roasted a small butternut squash for the vegetable.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I am making potato leek soup using the turkey stock I made yesterday. I also cut up some semolina bread for croutons and will probably do the same with the 3 remaining hard rolls.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.