What are you Cooking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's Thanksgiving week, lots of cooking plans? We have three guests for Thanksgiving dinner now, and I moved the turkey into the refrigerator to defrost late last night.

I need to make my timeline sheet today so I get the critical parts done on schedule, like getting the turkey into the oven and getting the potatoes started.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Since many of us are cooking turkey this week, I thought I'd share this piece from The Washington Post. I am allowed to "gift" several articles a month, so this link should work.
        https://wapo.st/3FyyfXw

I will be making whipped honey feta with roasted olives to take as an appetizer to our friends for Thanksgiving. We've decided that I will cook our turkey breast next Sunday. I haven't decided if I am going to bone it or cut it as is. I'll take it out of the freezer on Thursday.

chocomouse
        Participant

Dinner tonight was leftover chicken thighs with roasted root vegetables and a Greek salad.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made lentil and tomato stew from Barefoot Contessa, grilled Portuguese linguica to go with it and roasted some cauliflower with olive oil an Penzey’s lemon pepper. A really nice dinner.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I giggled over the Washington Post turkey article, CWCdesign. Of course, we think nothing of roasting turkey several times a year in our house. Thanks for posting the link here.

Sunday was chilly, so it was a good day to be in the kitchen. I made a batch of applesauce from the bag of seconds we bought on our orchard trip. The combination of Doud Greening and Ida Red is excellent. The batch made from a 5 lb. combination needed only ½ cup sugar. I froze this batch. I will make another later this week to go with Thanksgiving dinner.

I made yogurt.

For Sunday dinner, I made a large pot of soup, using the Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup combo (red and brown lentils, green and yellow split peas, some barley), along with my homemade broth, celery, carrots, a mostly red bell pepper from one of our pots, garlic, a pound of mushrooms, ground turkey, rehydrated dried onion, Penzey’s Ozark seasoning, and kale (added at end), then 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar and a bit of freshly ground pepper. I am hoping the soup will see us through Wednesday, so that I can put my efforts toward Thanksgiving preparations.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If it was going to be warmer, I'd think about doing the turkey on the rotisserie, that makes for a nicely done and tender bird. But the high is supposed to be 41. Brrrr. And I'm not sure my rotisserie motor can handle an 18 pound bird.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had take-out oriental.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

My husband had canned bean soup and I had a hotdog with slaw.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Monday began the Thanksgiving preparations. I roasted two of the six pie pumpkins that I bought in October at the Farmer’s Market. I set aside the pumpkin for the pie, the pumpkin for the rye bread, froze a container with pumpkin for another loaf of the rye bread, and set aside the rest for now. I may use it to bake a pumpkin breakfast goody.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had cheese tortellini with a can of diced tomatoes for sauce.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Last night we had lima beans, rice and smoked sausage.Tonight we had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and canned creamed corn.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We continue to eat our turkey-vegetable-mixed lentils and peas soup.

Thanksgiving preparations continued Tuesday when I made another batch of applesauce with the Doud Greening and Ida Red apples. I like this pairing a lot. I added only 1/3 cup sugar for five pounds. The apples produce a lot of liquid; I strain it, put the apple part into the sauce and drink the rest as juice.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

My plan is to take the turkey carcass and make a big batch of turkey stock, then use some of that instead of chicken stock for potato leek soup early next week.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I did lots of prep work but no real cooking today also. I cut up 3 small butternut squashes, 5 pounds of carrots, 2 pounds of parsnips, a couple of white potatoes and a couple of sweet potatoes. Half the carrots went into a pot with maple syrup and butter to bake tomorrow for candied carrots - a tradition in my husband's family. The rest of of everything I parboiled for 3 minutes and have in the fridge to be frozen in meal size containers for roasting later this winter. I've not tried this before, I've always used fresh, but I don't always have all the ingredients on hand so I'm hoping it works.

navlys
                                Participant

I made chicken cutlets with sundried tomato cream sauce (eating well). It was very good. I usually buy a large jar of sundried tomatoes in oil to keep on hand. The jars have always lasted quite a while. One year I actually read the label and noticed it said to refrigerate after opening. After refrigerating, the tomatoes solidified in the oil and were nasty. I then decided to just keep the jar in the pantry. Within a day or two the tomatoes turned moldy! Now I ignore the label and the tomatoes are fine in the pantry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.