What are you Cooking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

If your sun dried tomatoes were in olive oil, it is solid at refrigerator temperatures. Corn, canola, safflower and soybean oil (or generic 'vegetable oil') are not.

Taking it out for a half hour would probably have softened it up again.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I always refrigerate my sun-dried tomatoes after opening. As Mike notes, I just let the jar sit on the counter for about a half hour before I use the tomatoes. I often use the oil to saute vegetables for the dish that I am making. I prefer ones packed in olive oil.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Wednesday, I made my Cranberry, Cardamon, and Dried Cherry relish. It does not require any cooking, only chopping up the cranberries with the dried cherries and brown sugar. After doing so, I realized that I had forgotten the cardamon, so I had to grind the seeds and add it afterwards.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today we had smoked sausage,grits,eggs and buttermilk biscuits with honey.

Navlys I never put Hershey's chocolate syrup in the fridge even though it says to, some things do not need it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had leftover soup plus some of the hard rolls.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had leftover mushroom soup and clam chowder, along with some really good rolls from the freezer. Unfortunately, I don't remember what recipe I used and can't figure it out from my files of recipes. I do know they did not rise very much, so are a little dense but have excellent flavor - of what I don't know!

chocomouse
                Participant

I figured out the mystery rolls!! Peter Reinhart's Wild Rice and Onion Rolls!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

When I checked my bird at 8AM this morning, it was still mostly frozen, at 10 AM the outside was somewhat pliable but there were still ice crystals in the cavity. I'm hoping I can still get it in the oven on schedule at noon.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Since it's just me and my husband he wanted fried chicken,macaroni and cheese and potato salad.It was good and easy.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

My husband roasted the turkey. We put it in 12:10 p.m. and took it out around 4:30 p.m. I made the Pepperidge Farm blue bag dressing; I add turkey broth, celery and green onion sauteed in 2 tsp. butter and 2 Tbs. avocado oil. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli, as well as the applesauce and cranberry sauce (well, only I eat the cranberries), and a slice of the rye bread. Dessert was pumpkin pie.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

By the time I got it thawed enough to prep, the bird wound up going in the oven around 12:30, but I had built some slack time into the schedule and the only dish that wasn't on the table at the time I had planned for dinner to start (6PM) was the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts dish that was similar to the dish I made a few weeks ago, but without the chicken thighs. I didn't get the oven turned up high enough at first, I think.

Both of my pies from yesterday stuck to the pie pan badly, probably for two different reasons, though both could have had something to do with my blind baking technique.

The variant on the southern sweet potato pie I made (using brown sugar) was really good (Susan Purdy's recipe), everybody had a piece, some had more than one, and after a few take-home pieces for our guests that pie is gone. About half of the pecan pie is left, it was very good too but really hard to get out of the pan.

We've got enough other leftovers that I don't think I'll need to do much cooking for several days other than stripping the rest of the meat off the turkey and getting the carcass in a pot to make stock. We'll be on KP a lot the next two days, though, cleaning up after two days of serious 'committing kitchen'.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm sharing this link from Breaking Cat News because that first panel so nicely sums up a Thanksgiving meal.

https://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news/2021/11/26

The Peace of Pie be with you all!

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I put the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts back in the oven for another 20 minutes, I'm planning to have some as a prelude to supper shortly. I haven't dissected the turkey yet, but we've made major headway on getting all the pots and pans clean.

I also figured out if we put the rest of the pecan pie on a warm heating pad for a few minutes, it is much easier to get a piece out of the pie pan. I think what happened is that my par-baked crust didn't go far enough up and had some holes in it, and the sticky but delicious filling got under the pie crust, where it became sugar glue.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We had turkey sandwiches on rye for lunch. I had some cranberry relish on the side. We both had pumpkin pie.

For dinner, we re-ran turkey, dressing, gravy, applesauce, and added microwaved frozen peas and carrots. My husband will likely have more pumpkin pie for dessert tonight, but one slice a day--preferably early in the day--is my limit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.