Posting photos to My Nebraska Kitchen

Home Forums Technical and Administrative Issues Posting photos to My Nebraska Kitchen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Several people have reported problems posting photos to My Nebraska Kitchen, usually because the photos are too large. At present, the site will not accept any images greater than 512K. (You'll get a confusing message about 'delete the file', what that refers to is deleting it on the MNK site, not on your phone or computer.)

A recent photo taken on my iPhone 12 (but not posted here) was 3024 x 4032 pixels and 3.5 MB in size. If there's an easy way to get an iPhone to take a lower resolution photo, I haven't found it.

By comparison, the picture of the cheesecake slice I posted the other day was 480 x 640 and about 50K in size, and the one RiversideLen posted of his rolls was 640 x 477 and 107K in size.

To get lower resolution photos you have a few options. If you're using a cell phone, you can usually install a photo editing app that can lower the resolution of a photo, and there are also good photo editing tools on most computers for that. (I like Irfanview on Windows computers, but don't use Macs enough to know the best tools for it.)

If you're using a camera, you may be able to set the image size in the camera settings or use a photo editor to lower the resolution, though to be honest I usually leave my camera at the highest resolution and crop/reduce any photos I take with it before posting them here, and most of the time I just use my iPhone's camera.

Another way is to email the photo to yourself, on most phones that gives you an option to determine size, I usually choose the 'medium' option, I think that produces an image that displays well on the site.

I'm still looking into how to get higher limits for upload files, but the settings for that seem to be well-buried.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Thanks Mike.

RiversideLen
        Participant

On an iPhone, you can use the edit button and then the crop button to crop out any unnecessary background. That will make the file size smaller (but probably not small enough). When I use the iPhone I email the pic to myself (use the little box with the arrow pointing up), I select myself as the person I'm sending it to, then a box will come up giving me the option to select a different size, for example the original image is 1.9 mg, options will be small 26 KB, medium 78 KB etc. I usually select medium.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thanks Len

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think I found the elusive setting and I was able to upload a 3.5 MB uncropped full-resolution photo from my iPhone to the site.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.