What are you Cooking the week of August 21, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of August 21, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I got some tomatoes from a friend (I've been supplying him with parsley from my Aerogarden and also gave him a big bag of lettuce yesterday), so with 3 or 4 dozen Fourth of July tomatoes I've got enough for a few quarts of tomato juice, so I'm setting up to do that this morning, before the heat sets in for the afternoon. Update: Looks like I'll get at least 5 quarts of juice, a good start to the canning season.

Dinner tonight is ribs on the grill and corn on the cob. I also bought a small container of cole slaw for me, and I might make some baked beans. These are spare ribs, so I'm going to give them a good 4 hours on the grill.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I noted last Friday that our water pump for the well was having issues. It has now quit completely. (Major appliances and systems only break going into weekends.) We have a company coming late Monday morning to troubleshoot and repair. The scenarios range from simple to complex. The well dates back to 1976. We bought the house in 2011.

As a result, water is in limited use here. I bought a cold rotisserie chicken this morning that we can eat for dinner with the last of the tortillas I made. I'm not sure when regular cooking and baking will resume here.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Oh BakeAunt I sure feel for you with the well problems.Sure hope y'all can get this fixed soon and easily.No fun for sure.

We had leftovers today, beef stew on top of rice, butter beans and I made a small pan of corn bread.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

When I was growing up, my grandfather had a cabin outside of town (on the Apple River) where we'd go on Thursday and Sunday afternoons. It didn't have a potable water source, so we always took gallon jugs of tap water with us, and kept a jug of water in the fridge (the cabin did have electricity), which always tasted so much different than just water straight out of the jug.

I hope you have some bottled water on hand to get you through your well crisis.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Our well water does not have a great taste, in part due to the iron content, which requires a water softener system. So, we have large bottles that we fill up at the local grocery store where there is a filtering system. I think it is 39 cents per gallon. So, we are set on drinking water and can easily get more if necessary. There is still some water in the tank and enough pressure that we can do light washing of hands and dishes, but I have pulled out our collection of paper plates to stretch it. We live on a lake, so we can use water from there, brought up by the bucket, for flushing. It could be worse, but I am hoping it will not get worse.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I grew up in a small town in NW Illinois, and the city water was very high in iron, many plumbing fixtures would have a dark brown stain from it.

I'm told they had to upgrade the water system a number of years ago because it wasn't compliant with updated state water quality standards for municipal water systems. I don't know if that addressed the iron issue, though.

BakerAunt
                Participant

The well company came today. The verdict: drill a new well. The company will start the process that needs to happen before they can actually drill. Until then, we have minimal water use and hope the pump can get us to the time the new well goes in. I will need to plan carefully on cooking and baking projects for the next month to minimize clean-up.

On the positive side, the old well was 2 inches in diameter, which is very small, and one reason such wells go bad. The new one will be 4 inches. It may not solve the iron issue, since there is no way of knowing what the water quality will be.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Dinner on Monday was leftover rotisserie chicken, microwaved green beans from the garden, and cubed potatoes tossed in olive oil and Penzey's Steak Seasoning then roasted in the oven.

chocomouse
                    Participant

So sorry about your well, BakerAunt. I know you are somewhat rural, but I hope you have some nearby food establishments where you can get some good take-out. The bonus? More time to peruse forgotten cookbooks, bulging folders, piles of loose recipes saved for posterity; and fresh recipes to try out when the new well is up and running!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had Sloppy Joe on top of mashed potatoes and leftover peas and carrots.

Dang it on the well BakerAunt.Do you have a neighbor that would let you run a hose for awhile?Praying all this goes smooth for y'all.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Last night we had burgers on the grill with sauteed mushrooms and salad, tonight it'll be NY strip steak on the grill, mushrooms and baked potato. (I bought 3 large NY strip steaks (about 12 ounces each) on sale last week, so I need to either use or freeze them.)

chocomouse
                          Participant

We had lasagna for dinner.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

On Sunday, Will had leftovers and I made my Mediterranean white bean and tuna salad with avocado (they we’re on sale) and spinach. Last night I had leftovers and he had tuna, Carolina rice and peas. He’s made a huge pasta salad for dinner tonight and I’m looking forward to it - extra long day at work.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I had a turkey bacon and tomato sandwich for lunch today--the first sandwich with one of our tomatoes. I did not realize when I bought the bacon at Walmart that it is smoked and fully cooked already. That turned out to be fortuitous, since I am trying to avoid messy cooking until the well issue has been resolved.

For dinner, we had leftover rotisserie chicken, and I snagged fresh broccoli and sweet corn at the farmers' market this evening. The corn is the sweetest we have ever had. Miller's Sweet Corn is known in this area for the delicious, sweet corn. I do not know if it is the variety or their soil, but it is the best.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had hamburger steaks with fries.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.