What are you Baking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making keto-friendly hot dog buns today

BakerAunt
      Participant

Your pie looks luscious, Joan.

What a sweet picture of you and your granddaughter!

We were getting low on bread, so on Friday, I baked three loaves of my Whole Wheat Oat Bran Bread. I will stick two in the freezer, so that we will be stocked for a while.

RiversideLen
        Participant

That's a very nice looking pie, Joan. Both you and your granddaughter look lovely! Congrats on learning how to post pics!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thank you all for the comments on pie and photo with my granddaughter, thanks for all the help posting a photo! My pie was delicious.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I tried making a keto-friendly Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, using a flourless cake recipe and using allulose instead of sugar and powdered allulose for the frosting. The cake is still cooling, but the frosting tastes pretty close, though it may not be hardening quite as much, I may not have cooked the butter/buttermilk/cocoa long enough. But maybe it will set up more over the next few hours, I've had batches where it didn't harden as much right away.

Looks like 1/9 of an 8x8 pan, with frosting, will be 11 carbs.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I think there's too much cocoa in the cake, and I'm not sure if that's because I lowered the amount of semi-sweet chocolate (to cut carbs) and increased the amount of cocoa powder or because I used dutch cocoa (as called for.)

Next time--more buttermilk, less cocoa, maybe regular cocoa, and perhaps some pecan flour for texture. And possible a little baking powder for airiness.

If the regular Texas Chocolate Sheet cake is a 10, this is a 5 or 6, but that mean's there's plenty of room for improvement. It'll get eaten, though.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made burger buns this morning. To save time, I baked two pans (KAF bun pans) of them in the Breville countertop oven, one below the other. I never bake two levels of anything, in the Breville or the Jennair, because they just don't bake up right. This the result; bun on the left was baked on the top rack, bun on the right baked below it.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

I agree, Chocomouse. Nothing bakes properly on 2 levels, even if the pans are switched around.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I don't like to bake two levels either.

skeptic7
                      Participant

In an effort to have something to eat with strawberries, and having milk to use up, I made a fairly basic muffin batter and poured it into a 9 inch cast iron frying pan. All the traditional recipes for muffins say -- Do not over mix -- batter will be lumpy. Well I didn't overmix and had a fairly flat bread with some lumps of unmixed flour in the finished product. Next time I will mix it a little more anyway.
                        This was flatter than I expected, as I normally use a 8 inch frying pan for similar recipes but it tasted nicely by itself, and went wonderful with strawberries. I poured maple syrup on my slice -- my father thought that was overdoing the sugar -- but I ignored him as maple syrup is good on many things. There was a 1/2 cup of apricot jam baked in the muffins so the maple syrup wasn't necessary.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Hah! Maple Syrup is ALWAYS necessary! ๐Ÿ™‚

skeptic7
                          Participant

Do you think mixing cream cheese and maple syrup would make a good spread?

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Sure, it makes a great spread on raisin bagels.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.