2024 Gardening

Home Forums Gardening 2024 Gardening

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I ordered some First Lady II (or III, depending on which part of their website you read) tomato seeds from Hirt's Seeds, plus some white eggplant seeds.

I also ordered 50 King Richard leek plants from Johnny's Seeds.

I'm going to cut back on the Fourth of July and Porter tomato plants, probably a half-row of each, and increase the number of Amish Paste and Italian Heirloom plants. Probably a half-row each of Celebrity and Rutgers.

We kind of ignored the Aerogarden in December, so I yanked out all but the Salanova lettuce row and cut that back severely, as it was threatening to bolt. I'll give it a week to see if it rebounds, if not I'll yank those as well, and start a fresh Aerogarden in a week or two. (It takes 2-3 days to clean out and sanitize the Aerogarden tubs.)

I'm giving thoughts to setting up a PVC pipe hydroponic garden for head lettuce, the plants need to be spaced 6-8 inches apart so they've got room to form heads.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I planted Salad Bowl lettuce and chives seeds, both Common and Garlic, a few weeks ago, under the Gro lights. It's probably time to decide what else to start now - but I've been feeling lazy lately.

BakerAunt
        Participant
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

That's a good one, BA.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I started a new Aerogarden today, 4 different types of lettuce again. We're trying to eat more lettuce under the keto diet.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I started 7 varieties of tomatoes today: First Lady II, Amish Paste, Italian Heirloom, 4th of July, Porter, Celebrity and Rutgers. Assuming enough of them sprout, the first 3 will each get a full row, the 4th of July and Porter will share a row as will the Celebrity and Rutgers.

I'll start some other vegetables next week, I should have 50 leek plants arriving soon. Our common plant for the urban gardening project this year is sweet corn. That'll be a new one for me, I've not grown corn, at least not intentionally. (The squirrels have planted some corn from critter corn we threw out for them that came up.) I don't know if I'll put in melons this year, but I may put in some eggplant and broccoli. Once I figure out where everything else goes, I'll decide if I want to do any zucchini or other squash.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Both our front and back lawns were in pretty sad shape, so I've been replanting them. The back yard had a lot of bare patches, so I seeded the whole yard in microclover.

The front yard got both microclover and buffalo grass seed. (One of the professors at UNL in my wife's department is a grasses expert, he strongly recommends buffalo grass as a native grass that is heat and drought tolerant.)

I scarified the yard first to remove thatch and that also took out a lot of the weeds. Scarifying is like power raking but it digs a series of grooves about a half inch into the dirt to provide a place for seeds to take hold.

The back yard got the clover seed several weeks ago and the clover is doing well, I may not even need to reseed any bare patches. The front yard just got seeded on Tuesday, the clover may start showing up next week but the buffalo grass might take 2 weeks.

I tried putting in a few small areas of buckwheat, mostly along the east side, but I don't know if any of it took, so I might try it again soon. The year I rested the main vegetable garden area I put in buckwheat and it was so pretty, and the bees just loved it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

My husband has been planting our garden. The tomato plants are now in, and some of the squash is starting to come up. He also decided to plant a couple of organic potatoes from the bowl I have on the counter. I expect that bell pepper and beans will be going in soon.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've got a bunch of tomatoes I could put in now (and may do so this evening) and more that aren't quite big enough yet, I'll probably put them in a bigger peat pot for a week or two.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I have planted peas and cucumbers in hanging baskets; an experiment, hoping the vines will produce well growing down instead of up. I have a large, waist-high planter with lettuce and spinach, up about 2 inches, almost ready to eat. And I planted 3 rows of bush beans (green) in the second planter. Yesterday I potted up a SuperSweet 100 cherry tomato in a large pot. I need my husband to rototill the in-ground garden and put up the electric fence before I plant there.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Between last night and today, I've got 13 tomato plants in, about half of the ones I started in March. So far I've got First Lady II, 4th of July, Porter, Rutgers and Celebrity planted.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Will planted our native blueberry bush on Thursday. He tore out the oleander in front of our porch and replaced it with the blueberry. We had to wait for the formal HOA approval, but our group is pretty accommodating. Will now has some of the residents excited about planting more natives in the community. But our blueberry which we got from the native plant nursery in the next town over at the spring native plant sale last month has blueberries and some more blossoms. We had one ripe one yesterday and it was pretty good!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

My husband felt that he had not started the bell peppers early enough, so he will plant those in pots so that they can overwinter in the house at the end of the season. Our beans have started coming up, as have plants for the two potatoes. We are still waiting on the squash to make its appearance. He also planted a few snow peas.

Two of the tomato plants got broken when a grow light got knocked on to them in the house, so Scott told me to go ahead and buy another tomato plant at the farmers market. There I encountered a self-proclaimed tomato geek, who had an amazing variety. As they were $3 apiece, or two for $5, I naturally came home with two. One is a Dester Indiana. The story is that the seeds were brought by a German man to Indiana, and he gave some to an Amish woman. I couldn't resist the story. The other plant, also an heirloom, is a Goliath, which is a variety that does not grow very tall. It's supposed to be sturdy and to continue producing fruit until a freeze. If we have a good season, I should have lots of different tomatoes with which to play in the kitchen.

My husband also bought seed for a fairy tale pumpkin--a variety I discovered at the farmers market a couple of years ago but have been unable to get since then. (There is someone else who likes the variety who usually gets there before the market opens and grabs the one or two that they have in their selection. The idea is to plant the seed in a large grow bag left over from when I used to plant a garden and place it on the side of the house, then let the vines run along the sunny side, and perhaps let any pumpkins that develop rest on the sidewalk. I got the idea after seeing a yard with lovely pumpkins a couple of years ago, even though most of the "yard" was pavers, with just a small spot of ground. We will have to protect the seeds until they germinate and get large enough that the chipmunks will leave the plant alone.

So far this year, we are getting regular rain and not too hot of temperatures. The black raspberry and blackberry crops look promising.

One of our two blueberry bushes has developed berries. For the second year in a row, the second one did not. If I can keep the birds off the one bush, I might get enough berries for muffins.

chocomouse
                              Participant

That all sounds very promising BakerAunt! Fun cooking and eating later this summer. I love gardening experiments. I have snow peas and cukes plant seeds growing in hanging baskets off the deck. So far, they're looking healthy. In the deck planters, green beans looking good, about 6" tall now. Beets and 2nd planting of bok choi and Little Gem lettuce just sprouting. The "old" lettuce and spinach is still producing well. The cherry tomato has blossoms, and I am plotting ways to stop Chippy from devouring them. In the main garden, with the electric fence, we have 6 Early Girl tomatoes (Celebrity, which is my go-to, is sold out in this area) and 6 Amish paste tomatoes, 6 each bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, plus 4 hills each of summer squash, zucchini, Delicata, Spaghetti, Butternut and Buttercup squash. The bobcat was back in the yard this morning; thankfully, I believe he is carnivorous. My blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are loaded with blossoms and/or young fruit. Only two of our three apple trees had blossoms, which is still better than last year after the 17* frost on May 24. Today it was 85* and we watered everything.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I have all my tomatoes in. There was one that lost most of its leaves to some critter, probably a rabbit, so I put another plant in that cage, but the one that had gotten nibbled on is throwing out new leaves so that cage will just have two tomato plants in it.

I have about 30 leek plants growing, I put in some dill seeds but they take 2-3 weeks to germinate. I'm still looking for a good place to put some catnip seeds.

I need to get my sweet corn for the soil test program in soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.