2024 Gardening

Home Forums Gardening 2024 Gardening

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I ordered some First Lady II (or III, depending on which part of their website you read) tomato seeds from Hirt's Seeds, plus some white eggplant seeds.

I also ordered 50 King Richard leek plants from Johnny's Seeds.

I'm going to cut back on the Fourth of July and Porter tomato plants, probably a half-row of each, and increase the number of Amish Paste and Italian Heirloom plants. Probably a half-row each of Celebrity and Rutgers.

We kind of ignored the Aerogarden in December, so I yanked out all but the Salanova lettuce row and cut that back severely, as it was threatening to bolt. I'll give it a week to see if it rebounds, if not I'll yank those as well, and start a fresh Aerogarden in a week or two. (It takes 2-3 days to clean out and sanitize the Aerogarden tubs.)

I'm giving thoughts to setting up a PVC pipe hydroponic garden for head lettuce, the plants need to be spaced 6-8 inches apart so they've got room to form heads.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I planted Salad Bowl lettuce and chives seeds, both Common and Garlic, a few weeks ago, under the Gro lights. It's probably time to decide what else to start now - but I've been feeling lazy lately.

BakerAunt
        Participant
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

That's a good one, BA.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I started a new Aerogarden today, 4 different types of lettuce again. We're trying to eat more lettuce under the keto diet.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I started 7 varieties of tomatoes today: First Lady II, Amish Paste, Italian Heirloom, 4th of July, Porter, Celebrity and Rutgers. Assuming enough of them sprout, the first 3 will each get a full row, the 4th of July and Porter will share a row as will the Celebrity and Rutgers.

I'll start some other vegetables next week, I should have 50 leek plants arriving soon. Our common plant for the urban gardening project this year is sweet corn. That'll be a new one for me, I've not grown corn, at least not intentionally. (The squirrels have planted some corn from critter corn we threw out for them that came up.) I don't know if I'll put in melons this year, but I may put in some eggplant and broccoli. Once I figure out where everything else goes, I'll decide if I want to do any zucchini or other squash.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.