What are you Baking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet, though I do have sourdough cracker dough I need to bake.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

When I sorted through some of my piles of recipes a while ago, one that I saved was for "Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Syrup," which came from a blog entitled "No Empty Chairs." I'm always looking to expand my pumpkin repertoire, but while the recipe contained some oats, it used regular flour but some cornstarch to reduce the protein level. I prefer more wholegrains., but the recipe's need to reduce the flour's protein level made me think that I could probably replace the cornstarch with flour and use lower protein whole wheat pastry flour and barley and use less than a quarter of regular flour. I replaced the 8 Tbs. of butter with 1/3 cup canola oil, reduced the brown sugar by half, and deleted one of the four eggs. I added milk powder and some flax meal. I was confident in my choices, because I compared the recipe to the Cornmeal Pumpernickel Waffles, and the flour and liquid proportions were close to the same. The waffles are excellent. My husband and the dog enjoyed them, as did I. Due to all the changes, it is now my recipe. I did not make the cinnamon maple cream syrup included in the recipe. We used our regular local maple syrup.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made two Rum cakes today (one GF) for our garden club bake sale in two weeks. They are soaking up their rum overnight and I will freeze and then wrap them tomorrow. I followed Brown Eyed Baker's way of soaking them and it was much easier than KABC, but I still like their recipe. I had bought 2 pastry brushes from KABC this summer to fill out an order - they work better than any I've tried in a while.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Last week was good. Sam came home on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. My in-laws came in Monday night which stressed out Kate some. But her dad cannot make the long drive for now, at least.

I made the crust for the pumpkin and pecan pies. Violet rolled out the crust, mixed, poured and baked the pumpkin pie all on her own! And her crust looked better than mine. I think I am trimming it too much.

Now I need to get her making the pie crust dough and melting the chocolate for the chocolate, hazelnut pie.

I made baked doughnuts, scones, and coffee cake for breakfasts. Sam took the last of the scones when he and his buddy drove back to NYC yesterday. They drove in a soft-top Jeep with no windows and mesh doors. It was in the 30s so I can only imagine how cold it was at highway speeds.

I have to make a birthday cake for Henry this week. He keeps asking for a citric acid cake. I am going to make a lemon cake. I have the frosting and filling figured but do you think I can just add some lemon juice and lemon peel to a yellow or white cake?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Most of the recipes I see use lemon juice and/or lemon zest, so that should be fine. Using a buttermilk cake recipe should improve the amount of zing.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I made a batch of blueberry corn muffins from one of the Silver Palate cookbooks for dinner tonight. I used to make them all the time when the boys were young and hadn't made them in years. They would turn up their noses when I offered, and preferred the regular cornbread. Times change - Will thought that was a good idea for tonight.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aaron--in case you are interested, I have posted my Lime Barley Bundt cake recipe.

You could probably substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the barley flour or just use AP for the entire recipe.

It is an oil cake, so it improves after resting overnight, and it keeps getting better.

Limes were on my mind today because I zested and juiced the rest of the limes from my lime tree. I will freeze it in portions to use later.

navlys
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, I was wondering what you thought of KA's alternative sugar. I happened to see it when I was looking through the site to use up my gift card. (again)

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Thanks Mike. Thanks BA.

I may make the Cake Bible white cake and add a couple of lemons worth of zest and lemon juice.

That is everyone's favorite cake with added lemon. The Cake Bible also has a lemon buttercream so I can use that too.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Could someone please post the name of the peanut butter cookies you all love so much? I have quite a few recipes, and don't know which, if any, might be the Nebraska Kitchen "most popular" one. This time, I want to be sure that's the one I am making. Thanks in advance!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Navlys--I've never used King Arthur's alternative sugar and have not had reason to buy it. I'm skeptical of alternative sugars, as I once tried one when baking for someone who was trying to keep her sugar under control, and I hated the taste. It wasn't the King Arthur but something else that was all the rage about eight years ago.

Aaron--My favorite lemon cake recipe--and the one that got raves from the lemon fanatic in the office where I used to bake the birthday cakes--came from Susan Purdy's The Perfect Cake. It is a butter cake with a cream cheese lemon frosting. Even my husband, who is not a big citrus fan, loved it. Alas, I cannot bake it anymore due to the butter content, unless I have a lot of people who can eat most of it. That was the last cake I baked for the office staff, by popular request, when they ordered in Chinese for my retirement lunch.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

It's in the 'favorite recipes' pulldown at the top of the page but here's the URL:

I bake them 10-11 minutes, that keeps them soft. The bottom should be a golden brown, not too dark.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'm never sure if it qualifies as baking or cooking, but I've got my turkey pot pie in the oven and that'll be supper tonight and leftovers for the next several days. But this finishes off the turkey meat.

IMG_0766

This is the first thing I've done in my 12" Fat Daddio pie pan.

Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

Thanks, Mike. I had searched the Forum Tools section for the recipe, and finally this morning looked at Favorite Recipes and found it there. I think I've made it before, but I have so many peanut butter cookie recipes (my husband's favorite) that I'd given up trying to remember which I used. I'm working on my list of Christmas Eve cookies, as I put out several cookie trays for our family Christmas dinner. I'll freeze the doughs, as slice & bake or scoops to be baked the week before our gathering.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Tuesday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.