What are you Baking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 26, 2023?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I found an interesting recipe for Durum Rosemary Rolls:

I've printed it to try in the future.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Wednesday evening, I made a levain using my sourdough starter. I plan to make a loaf of Rustic Sourdough in the baking bowl with the cloche cover tomorrow.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made a blueberry pie, using the recipe from Macrina Bakery. I also made Cranberry Coconut slice and bake cookies dough to freeze, then bake the week of Christmas.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked a large loaf of Rustic Sourdough bread using a large baking bowl and a cloche top. I have been adapting this recipe from an issue of Sift for a couple of years.The last time I baked the recipe, it was a bit dry from the Harvest Grains I added, so this time I poured ½ cup boiling water over the Harvest Grains and let them soak it up before adding to the dough. I also added 1 Tbs. of water to the levain last night. I ended up needing an additional tablespoon of water in the final dough. I also increased the special dry milk to 2 Tbs. and added a tablespoon of flax meal. This recipe has a cold oven start. At 50 minutes, it only registered 160F, so I replaced the cloche on the board and baked another 10 minutes, which got the temperature to 203F. We had some slices of the loaf with dinner tonight, and the flavor and texture are excellent.

chocomouse
            Participant

Does anyone buy (or have bought) from webstaurantstore.com? Is this a reliable company? I'm thinking about making a purchase there. Thanks for any input.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I have used them to buy a dough hook. They were good but that was before shipping costs went through the roof.

Violet and I made Henry's birthday cake. I followed BA's advice (thanks BA) and made a buttermilk cake from the Cake Bible. I've decided I don't like the book because too many recipes call for either egg yolks or egg whites. Hen's cake called for four yolks.

I feel like I either have to make a second thing that uses up the remaining part of the eggs or I am wasting them. I supposed I could have made a meringue buttercream but time was short and, besides, my family likes the easy buttercream better than the real stuff.

I added a couple small lemons worth of zest and juice. It could have used more but everyone ate it and no one complained.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I buy from webstaurant on occasion, their shipping charges are a bit higher than others, but they also carry some things that are hard to find elsewhere.

I've ordered 50 pound bags of semolina from them, the shipping winds up being almost as much as the product, but it still comes out at only about $1.15 per pound, which is a lot less than BRM. And once you hit about $30 in shipping charges, adding a few things to the order doesn't affect the shipping cost much.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Best prices I've found for BRM are at Vitacost. They have a cyber week sale for 20% off right now. Use the code CYBER20.

BRM Semolina before the sale is $3.99 for three pounds.

BRM bread read flour is $5.09. Not as cheap as KAB bread flour at Costco but better than any place else. KAB is 10 lbs. for $7.99 at Costco.

I was gifted some KAB vanilla last year and I just used up the last of it. I was going to buy a new bottle but WOW, $80 for 16 oz. I just bought that at Costco for $11.98. KAB is better, less alcohol smell, but not that much better and not noticeable to people in my finished product.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The last time I planned to buy from Web Restaurant, the shipping left me floored. I ended up buying the item from them via Amazon and got free shipping.

I like Vitacost, not just for BRM items but also for items not easily found in my area.

Aaron--I think it was Mike who suggested the buttermilk, although the recipe I posted also calls for it.

I like the egg whites at this time of year for almond flour cookies. That gives me the issue of what to do with the yolks, but it is a good excuse to bake the challah recipe that Cass gave me.

I found The Cake Bible to be overly complex and fussy. I like Susan Purdy's cake book much better. A friend told me that a catering friend, while she would use The Cake Bible as needed, preferred Purdy's book for "crucial" cakes.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

If I have extra egg whites, I usually make chocolate meringue cookies with them. I used to make macarons, but nobody seems to really appreciate a good macaron unless they spend $3 on it.

I don't use the Cake Bible much, either, I find her recipes too fussy and too easy to mess up. I like some of the cake recipe in the KAF Baking Companion and in Susan Purdy's cake book. (I like her pie book, too.)

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Note: It expires today, but Vitacost's 20% off can be stacked with another 15% off of BRM products.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Thanks everyone for the information about webrestaurant. I'm being extra careful to avoid scams these days.

Today I made molasses cookies and lemon-oatmeal-sugar cookies -- scooped and frozen raw, in the freezer to be baked later for my Christmas cookie trays.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made semolina-wheat-rye rolls today.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I would have made an egg white omelet with the extra whites. I often have some chopped bell pepper and chopped ham in the freezer and usually have some cheese in the fridge. Turn that into an omelet with some toast makes a tasty breakfast or lunch.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.