What are You Baking the Week of May 17, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 17, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No, this is a recipe I adapted from one my mother-in-law made years ago.

See honey wheat bread

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Wednesday, I experimented with “Sourdough Whole Wheat Pan Bread,” a recipe from the first edition of Sunset Magazine’s Breads. I have not made this recipe in a long time, and back when I was baking it, I was still hand kneading, as I did not have my stand mixer. I wanted to tweak it, given some of what I now know about breads and sourdough. I also increased the whole wheat flour by a cup and added 1/2 cup of dark rye. I initially soaked the whole grains with the sourdough starter, and some milk and water for two hours, before I added 2 tsp. of yeast and the molasses, then let the yeast work for 15 minutes before adding 1 1/2 cup bread flour, 1/2 cup high gluten flour (using it up and conserving bread flour) and 2 tsp. salt. I added 2 Tbs. olive oil in place of the 3 Tbs. butter. I needed just 1/4 cup more bread flour. The rises were long, maybe because it was 68F in the house. The first rise took 80 minutes, and the second rise 90 minutes. The two loaves had nice oven spring. I look forward to slicing them for lunch tomorrow.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I started a birthday cake last night. My oldest is turning 17 today and wants a "vanilla on vanilla" cake so I made a Cake Bible white velvet cake. I almost forgot the sugar but it didn't look right and I tasted the batter and the lack of 10.5 ounces of sugar was pretty glaring. I added it in and it's okay. Not pretty but it will taste good and frosting will hide a multitude of sins.

I saved the yolks but neglected to save the extra whites. I could have used those to make scones this weekend! Next time...

BakerAunt
          Participant

The whole wheat sourdough came out well. It's assertive, so I would not push it on anyone who is not a whole wheat fan, but we like it. I might use a little less flour next time, or a bit more liquid.

skeptic7
            Participant

BakerAunt; How did the Pan au Chocolat come out? do you think the strong taste on the WW sourdough is from the whole wheat or from the sourdough starter?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I don't understand why you would have extras of both egg yolks and egg whites.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm prepping to make baguettes tomorrow, along with the Dakota Norwegian Rye from Ginsberg.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I had leftover egg whites because the recipe calls for 4.75 ounces and I ended up with 5.5 in the bowl before I tossed some. Wish I'd set it aside.

The cake texture was gummy which may have been because I added the sugar at the wrong time or because I undermixed it or both or something else entirely. But it tasted it good and my daughter helped me decorate it and everyone finished his or her piece.

Brought up the starter as the sourdough is almost gone and the second loaf of whole wheat. I'll make more of both this weekend.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I have been on a quest tor a cookie lower in saturated fat. On Friday, I decided to try adapting the recipe for Bob’s Delicious Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies. I replaced the ½ cup salted butter with ¼ cup canola oil plus enough buttermilk to make 1/3 cup. I also reduced the brown sugar slightly, from ¾ to 2/3 cup. I used 60g of semisweet chocolate chips (10 g saturated fat), which is about 1/3 cup. My method was to whisk the oil and buttermilk until creamy, then beat it with the brown sugar before adding the vanilla and the egg. I stirred the flour mixture into it, then 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli. It was loose, so I let it sit for 20 minutes so that the muesli could absorb some of the liquid. I used a Zerol #40 (1 Tbs.) scoop and put 12 on a baking sheet. I baked the first sheet for 10 minutes, and the second for 11 minutes on the third rack up in my oven. They make a flat, chewy cookie that is good, although I do miss the butter. Next time, I will use white whole wheat rather than AP flour. My husband is happy to have a cookie with chocolate chips again, even if it is fewer chips than in the past.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Today's baguettes just came out of the oven, I think I left them in a couple minutes too long, they got a bit scorched on the bottom. I was using a perforated baguette pan, something I bought some years ago but had only used once before today. It makes baguettes that are about 16 inches long, so I made them with 220 grams of dough per baguette. If I use this pan again, I'll probably increase them to about 240-250 grams per baguette.

I also made two epis, they came out pretty good on the bottom, but they were on an air-bake pan and went in a minute or two after the baguettes did.

I also made some rye bread out of the Ginsberg book, I'll post a report about that later tonight after they've cooled.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Hi everyone! Long time since you've heard from me. I will do a general post where I also have a question from you all.
                          This week, I made my slightly modified version of KAF's Harvest Grains Bread and I just took out a loaf of KAF's Honey Oat Pan de Pie scaled up to the large pan - it looks beautiful. I had just gotten my bread machine around the last time I posted (a couple of years ago !?!) and it has helped me so much.

I have missed you all.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

It's great to see you posting, again, CWCdesign. You have been missed.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Welcome back!

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Thank you both - it feels like home

chocomouse
                                Participant

Welcome back, CW! That Harvest Grain Bread is one of my favorites. Have you tried their Super 10 Blend? It's similar, and another favorite of mine.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.