What are you Baking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 12, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any special Mother's Day baking going on?

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I baked two batches of pancakes. I've done baked pancakes before but I was struck by the fine texture. I remember traditional pancakes as having bigger holes and a more fluffy and open crumb. What temperature should pancakes be baked at? fried at? for the best texture.
        The pancakes were fine covered with strawberries and maple syrup. These were store brought strawberries and rather hard, they were vastly improved by the maple syrup. It seemed more traditional to have maple syrup and pancakes, then maple syrup and scones.

Italiancook
        Participant

Skeptic, I'm glad you brought this us. I've been baking my normal pancake recipe for quite some time. Over the weekend, I analyzed them. Not only are they too fine, compared to stand-at-the-stovetop pancakes, the syrup doesn't penetrate them as well as stand-at-the-stovetop pancakes. I found them wanting for a good syrupy taste. As you pointed out, the airy holes are missing.

I bake mine at 425 degrees, because that's the temp recommended by Pioneer Woman recipe on Food Network. She recommends baking for 20 minutes, but in my oven, they turn out too brown to suit me. My stand-at-the-stovetop pancakes aren't solid brown or even a medium brown -- they're lightly browned & not on every spot.

I have chocolate chip pancakes on my baking agenda. I'm going to try these at 400 degrees for 18 minutes. But I'm also going to increase my pancake recipe by 1/4. The normal recipe doesn't completely fill a quarter sheet pan. I'll let you know how the lower temp and time work . . . probably not until the weekend.

Initially, I was so thrilled to not be standing "forever" to make pancakes, I was thrilled with baking pancakes. Now, I still want to bake; I just want a better product for syrup.

Food Network has a 4-quadrant baked pancake recipe. It starts the oven at 500 degrees and turns it down to 400 when pancakes put in oven. I think, and may be wrong, that'd mean the pancake batter would first be exposed to 500 then around 450 degrees, which seems too high to me.

Skeptic, if you do any experimenting, please share your results.

chocomouse
          Participant

I use the recipe for Baked Blueberry Pancakes from Taste of Home. It was the first baked pancake recipe I looked at, and we like it. It calls for making a dry pancake mix, and using half of it for one batch, which bakes in a 10 x 15 inch baking pan. I just make half a recipe and bake it in a 9 x 12 pan. I do use buttermilk and add a teaspoon of vanilla. I also use way more blueberries, maybe about 1 3/4 cups. (Last summer I picked 16 pounds of blueberries!) It bakes up nicely, fluffy, with holes, in 20 minutes at 375* in my oven.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday afternoon, I made the dough for my no-butter version of the Soft Barley Cookies recipe in the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book. The dough needs to rest "overnight," so as I finished it at 3:15, I will bake them tomorrow. These are soft enough that my husband thinks he will be able to nibble on them in pieces.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made English muffins yesterday. I plan to make a loaf of lemon-blueberry bread with streusel topping in KAF's long "tea" loaf pan later today. Out blueberry bushes are loaded with blossoms this year; as long as we don't get a frost like last year, I'm expecting to pick many quarts this summer!

BakerAunt
                Participant

I scooped out and pressed the barley cookies and baked them late Wednesday morning. I think that the dough does better with the longer refrigerated rest. The past two times, it rested six or seven hours. This time it was closer to 19 hours. I got the second tray a bit browner than I would have liked, but they are still good.

I also tried a new muffin recipe for mini-Banana Muffins with mini-chocolate chips. It came from the Los Angeles Times Magazine, probably back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I made a lot of changes. The recipe was supposed to make 24-30 mini-muffins. I ended up with 35 and had to use a pan that I do not like as well, as it has wider, shallower wells that likely would work better for mini-tarts. I froze most of the latter. My husband liked the small size of the muffins and tried one at lunch.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Yesterday I made lemon blueberry bread, in KAF's long "tea" loaf pan. According to KAF, it holds the same amount of batter as a 9 x 5 quick bread recipe. Well - this time it did not! I have baked in that pan previously, but not for a couple of years. I suppose I might have added another 1/2 cup of berries over what the recipe called for. So today, I'll be cleaning my Breville counter top oven.

navlys
                    Participant

I have a Breville counter top oven too. I find it interesting that some recipes call for a regular oven vs. a toaster oven. Maybe the different size of toaster oven makes a difference? Any way I love my Breville and use it almost every day.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I use my Breville for all my baking, and use my Jennair oven only for roasting meats, e.g. turkey or cooking large amounts of squash for freezing, etc. It is 39 years old and does not maintain an accurate temperature. Interesting --I've never seen a recipe that calls for a specific kind of oven. As of this minute, I have a sparkling clean Breville that looks almost brand new! When I use the tea loaf pan again, I'll be sure to put a sheet pan underneath the baking pan! Today I baked 2 loaves of bread using KAF's Super 10 Blend and they baked up perfectly in the Breville, as usual.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I just pulled out a batch of 9 burger/sandwich buns from the oven. I will be using one of them for tonight's dinner.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made a egg custard pie to take to our poker game tonight.I have a question Mike where is the link to insert into text at?

IMG_0676

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

It's usually just to the right of the image you just selected and says 'Insert into Content':

Screenshot-19

Attachments:
                              Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Thank you Mike.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

My granddaughter and me.Just trying this to see if I did it right yay me lol.

IMG_0600

Attachments:
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.