What are you Baking the Week of July 9, 2023?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 9, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I will probably have to make more semolina bread some time this week, but probably not today.

I'm reworking the test protocol for the cinnamon experiment I've been laying out, but I'll probably wait until September to start doing any baking.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The other day I made a zucchini bread with cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate chips in it, it needed a little more time in the oven. Today I made one with buttermilk and blueberries, it smells a lot like blueberry muffins. I gave it about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for and it came out of the pan cleanly but isn't cool enough to slice yet.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Here's a picture of the blueberry zucchini bread. Even though I baked it for 15 minutes longer than the recipe called for, it still seems a little underdone in the center. I used fresh blueberries, maybe that increases the baking time?

Tastes a lot like a blueberry muffin. It's a 'stealth' vegetable dish. ๐Ÿ™‚ The recipe calls for a cup of shredded zucchini, I used around 160 grams, which is probably over 1 1/2 cups.

IMG_0570

Recipe I used:

https://www.italianfoodforever.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/1342/print

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

If you have a longer, narrower loaf pan, Mike, that will help with the underdone center. I have some recipes that I just do not bake in my standard loaf pans, as the centers do not seem to bake completely, even though the outer edges are done.

I baked Cinnamon Biscotti on Sunday--a recipe that I have not baked in a while. I cut the amount of cinnamon chips in half, but the saturated fat is still high. I told my husband to limit himself to two per day.

As I had 2 cups of zucchini left from the turkey loaf that was cooking for dinner, I mixed my adaptation of The Shipyard Galley's Zucchini Muffins and put them into the already heated oven before we sat down for dinner. I make mine two-thirds whole wheat, add some powdered milk, replace some oil with buttermilk, add some flax meal, and add cinnamon chips. I made the full recipe, or 24 small muffins. I will freeze some for quick breakfasts.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

This was baked in an 8x4 pan. Both of the zucchini bread recipes I've made in the past week have been underbaked, I just don't trust the toothpick test for quick breads, especially zucchini bread, which tends to be relatively heavy.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Mike, that blueberry zucchini bread looks good. The few times I've baked quick breads, they have tended to be underdone in the middle which is why I rarely make them.

Today I made a batch of my sandwich/burger buns.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I think I understand why mini-loafs of things like zucchini bread and banana bread are so popular at farmer's markets, they're easier to get baked all the way through without having the edges be unacceptably over-baked.

One other factor: This 8x4 zucchini bread weighs about 35 ounces, which is quite a lot. I plan to cut it into slices and freeze a good portion of it, like I did with the cinnamon/nutmeg/chocolate chip one I made a few days ago.

I might also try this recipe in a muffin tin. I'm guessing it'd make at least a dozen muffins.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

These days I mostly do quick breads in small loaf pans and freeze a loaf or two. In the summer, with heat and humidity, I find that the quick breads that use fresh fruits and vegetables do not last well past a few days. It is also nice to have the variety.

Small loaves at the farmers' market encourage people to try them since if they do not like it, there is not much left over.

navlys
                    Participant

Just a comment on a previous thread on the pizzelles that I made. Their taste definitely got better as time went on. I would make them again even if they didn't look perfect.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Mike, since I started checking the temperature with my Thermo Pop, my quick breads have not been undercooked. I can't remember if it's 190 or 200, but I know it's in a KABC blog post.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I made 2 loaves (doubled the recipe) of Len's Semolina-Rye-Whole Wheat bun/bread.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yeah, I was thinking I'd do a temperature test rather than the toothpick test the next time around. We've given away 4 zucchini in the last two days, all in the 12-18 ounce range. There will be more to pick in a few days and I don't know how long this variety will continue to set fruit, possibly well into September.

I made semolina bread today. The last batch came out very dense, I probably didn't final proof them long enough. I was on the phone dealing with a customer support issue when the timer went off during final proof today, and as a result they got a little over-proofed this time. But they aren't bad looking about 5 inches wide x 3 inches high (at the peak) by 15 inches long, with a very open crumb. Taste good, too. I told Diane these loaves will probably be half the carbs per slice of the last batch.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Chocomouse - has the flooding affected you yet?

chocomouse
                              Participant

cwdesign, we've not been directly affected by the flooding - our house is about 200 feet above the Connecticut River so no chance of flooding. However, many roads are washed away or flooded so many family and friends cannot get home or get out. It will be months before many are rebuilt. Many businesses are closed because people can't get to work, even the two interstate highways are shut down in sections. The ground is saturated from rain almost daily for the past month, yet we have not lost power from trees falling on lines. Now that it is daylight, emergency services will be able to inspect the damage more closely and let us know what the prognosis is for rebuilding. Yesterday we got 2.39 inches of rain, and 1.50 inches overnight, however the forecast is for only a few showers and some sunshine for the next week or so. King Arthur Baking, ten miles south of us, is also in a good position similar to ours, no chance of flooding, but the employee-owners are probably having a difficult time getting to work.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Chocomouse, I am glad that you are well and safe. I went through Vermont last month and Interstate was being repaired in places. I guess with all the mountains the rain will just be funnelled into the lower areas very quickly. I hope the covered bridges survive. KA was having computer troubles when I stopped by on June 29.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.