What are you Baking the Week of July 2, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 2, 2023?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still thinking about those cinnamon pretzels here.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I began Sunday morning by improvising a recipe for vegan scones using the almond milk left over from my friend's visit. As my base recipe, I used my oil-based scone, which I usually make with frozen cranberries or frozen blueberries. As I want these scones for traveling, I used ¾ cup of dried fruit I had gotten from King Arthur and soaked it over night to re-hydrate. I deleted the baking soda and increased the baking powder by 1 tsp. I added 2/3 cup almond flour. I replaced the egg with 1 Tbs. flax meal and 3 Tbs. water. I decided to do these as drop scones, using the #10 Zeroll scoop, I baked for 23 minutes. Next time, I will bake a minute longer. The flavor and texture are excellent, which I attribute to using half Irish whole meal flour, as I usually do. I will type the recipe for myself and use it when I have guests who follow a vegan diet, or who need to be dairy free.

My second project for Sunday was baking my version of the Soft Oatmeal Cookies from Jenny Can Cook as a double recipe.

My third, and final, project was baking my adaptation of Ellen's bun recipe as sixteen rolls. While that is a lot of baking for one day, we have been enjoying some nice rain throughout the day, so it was perfect for summer baking.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I attempted the cinnamon pretzels today. I did a half-recipe. I was careful to cut everything in half. The recipe said they would be crumbly but that would improve as they warmed up, but even after sitting out for 20-30 minutes they were too crumbly to roll out to the 10" specified length, so I wound up making pretzel sticks that were 4-5 inches long.

They remind me of a shortbread cookie, but not in a good way. They have a sandy mouth feel and I don't think they're sweet enough, though if they were more savory that might help. I even tried some with some cream cheese frosting on them, it didn't help. Maybe they'll improve overnight, but I have my doubts.

European flours are usually softer than US flours, but I doubt minor adjustments in the recipe would salvage them, even making them half as thick, so I probably won't try this recipe again.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The cinnamon pretzel (sticks) are a little better today, but still not memorable. If they keep improving, I might actually try this recipe again, hoping to get a less crumbly dough that I can actually shape as pretzels. Maybe more egg or other moisture?

I'm doing a double batch of peanut butter cookies tonight, so I can take a tray of them to the block party following our 4th of July block parade.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did baked pancakes -- my normal whole wheat pancakes but baked in the oven until done. Chocomouse is right this is easier and less likely to burn than doing them on the stove top. Ate half of them with strawberries and Greek yogurt for breakfast; and the other half for lunch.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made a zucchini bread using the first zucchini from the garden. It's out of the oven cooling, it'll be ready to slice in another 30-40 minutes.

I've got two bags of shredded zucchini portioned for the recipe I used. If we like it, I could do more fairly quickly.

navlys
                Participant

I decided to make pizzelles after tasting them at a recent party. The problem I always have is that the shape of the cookie is always lopsided. I try (with my Tbls. scoop) dropping the batter off center to the right, off center to the left, up and down and in the center. They are never even. To be honest I made too many and they are a little tasteless. I used vanilla extract and almond extract. The person who made them for the party used anise oil which you have to order online. My pizzelle iron is from Villaware.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made the buns recipe I used for the latest Excel template, the recipe is from the BBGA forum (Solveig Tofte), making 8 hamburger buns (2.5 ounces of dough each, they're about 4" in diameter) and 5 hot dog buns (1.9 ounces of dough each, they're about 5 1/2 inches long.) I did shorten the baking time by about 3 minutes.

I 'm not sure the poppy seeds are going to stay on, might need an egg wash or something else to fix them to the dough. The sesame seeds are a bit loose, too.

IMG_0561

IMG_0560

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant

Your buns look great, Mike. Maybe we should all come over for a party? 🙂

My husband ate the last of the rolls for lunch on Thursday, so I baked three loaves of my Oat Bran Whole Wheat Buttermilk Bread. I will freeze two and start slicing the third one for sandwiches tomorrow. Although the recipe began as one by Peter Reinhart, I have adapted it enough--and made it healthier--to call it mine.

Navlys--I have made krumkake, which is the Swedish version of pizzelles. I will look up my recipe. I could not use anise, as my husband does not care for it, so I think that I used a vanilla-almond extract combination. I find that they go very well with frozen vanilla yogurt. They would also be good with a bit of chocolate drizzled on them.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

In honor of World Chocolate Day, I baked Chocolate Eclipse (pudding cake) - it's the first thing I've baked in my new kitchen and it felt great- I love my kitchen!

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Glad you like your kitchen Cwcdesign. Mike your buns look really nice.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Enjoy the new kitchen, CWCdesign!

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Friday from dough I made earlier in the week.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We have decided we prefer the Moomies buns for hamburgers, they're a little softer.

Neither recipe make what I would call the ideal bun for Chicago-style hot dogs, though. Still searching.

I think the BBGA recipe might make a good bun for Italian Beef sandwiches, they're dipped in au jus and need to not fall apart afterwards. Might also make good pizza bread. So, I'll probably make a batch of 5 using my Chicago Metallic sandwich roll pan, possibly next week.

I've got some Bueno Beef Italian Beef in the freezer, a 3 pound tub of it that I found at Aldi, of all places. (That weight includes the au jus, I suspect, I think it'd make 6-8 sandwiches.)

Italiancook
                              Participant

navlys, I made pizzelles 3 or 4 times a year until my pizzelle iron was lost in a move. I always used anise extract. At that time, it was sold in the grocery store section with other extracts. I don't know if grocery stores still carry the anise extract. I've never worked with the oil, so I can't advise you about that.

I never used a scoop. I placed a heaping tablespoon in the center of the iron, closed the lid, and often it'd seep out the edges. Made a mess, but I didn't care. I wanted perfectly formed pizzelles.

I'm not an expert, but maybe part of your problem is the recipe. My theory is that if something goes wrong repeatedly, it has to be the recipe's fault. Below is the pizzelle recipe I used. It came with the iron I purchased, and we think it's a winner winner chicken dinner recipe.

PIZZELLES

6 eggs
                                3-1/2 c. flour (I used Gold Medal or Pillsbury)
                                1-1/2 c. sugar
                                1 c. margarine (1/2 lb.) (I use butter)
                                4 teaspoons baking powder
                                2 tablespoons anise or vanilla (I use anise extract)

Don't use more than 1 cup margarine & DON'T use oil

Beat eggs, adding sugar gradually. Beat until smooth. Add cooled melted margarine & anise or vanilla. Sift flour & baking powder & add to egg mixture. Dough will be sticky enough to be dropped by spoon.

Yield: 30 - Put the pizzelles in a closed container (I use cookie tins) for a day or two to make the vanilla or anise flavor stronger.

CHOCOLATE PIZZELLES

Add the following ingredients to those in the recipe for regular pizzelles. Sift with the flour & add to egg mixture:

1/2 cup cocoa, an additional 1/2 cup sugar, an additional 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

PIZZELLES WITH NUTS

Add 1 cup walnuts or pecans chopped fine to batter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.