What are you Baking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Today I baked a Lemon Supreme pound cake my husbands favorite.We sent a friend half the cake and some of the cookies that was baked yesterday.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Today I've mixed up another loaf of sourdough will bake tomorrow.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made an favorite old recipe from the old baking circle, but used 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups of AP. Then I added garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning. Smelled wonderful, just not like bread!

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Mike - your cinnamon rolls look great. I need to start working on mine again.

For us small is probably better so we don't eat too much! KAB has a recipe for a giant cinnamon roll baked in a cast iron skillet. It would be fun for a party.

Challah is out of the oven. I made three loaves and four rolls. I had enough for four loaves but I wanted some rolls for sandwiches.

challah-and-rolls-small-01272023

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

Great looking Challah, Aaaron!

On Friday evening, I baked Bischofsbrot, a loaf cake with dark chocolate chips, walnuts, maraschino cherries, and golden and regular raisins. I use a longer, narrower loaf pan, which helps the center bake more evenly. I used half barley flour and half King Arthur AP flour this time. As I did when I baked it last year, I used ¼ cup avocado oil and 2 Tbs. buttermilk in place of 6 Tbs. melted butter.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I baked another loaf of sourdough split the dough in for 2- 8X4 loafs and sent both of them to one of my sister in laws.They turned out well. I made another batch of sourdough tonight it's rising overnight and will bake for me tomorrow.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Your cake sounds good BA. Apparently yesterday was National Chocolate Cake Day. How do you like avocado oil? Is it taste neutral? I used it for cooking last night but I made cheesesteaks so it would have had to be pretty strong to break through the steak, cheese, onions.

The challah is coming along. I didn't overcrowd the pan this time. And I've put my recipe into a spreadsheet so I can adjust the amount of ingredients to see how many 18 oz. loaves it will make. I want to add some formulas to it so I can have both weight and volume measurements there. I also need to have it do reverse calculations. Right now I put in the amount of flour and it gives me the number of loaves. But it would also be nice to put in the number of loaves and have it calculate the amount of ingredients.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Joan, thanks for posting your discovery of The Best Chewy Peanut Butter cookies. I made them this morning. It's a winner winner chicken dinner recipe, so I'm going to mail it to a niece. My scoops don't have the size inscribed on them; therefore, I don't know how large it is. I ended up with 21 cookies. Mike, these are definitely not crumbly. Mine were melt-in-your-mouth soft and delightful. The recipe says to sprinkle tops with sugar before baking. I used sparkling sugar. Most of it fell off the dough mounds onto the parchment. What stayed on the cookies I didn't like. It seemed to inhibit the peanut butter taste. Next time, I won't top with sugar.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Italiancook I'm glad you liked the cookies I just rolled mine in regular sugar and just dipped with tablespoon and rolled in my hand, I used a fork to make the criss cross pattern.The last one was ate yesterday and was still soft..

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

The scoop size number, if present, should be on the wiper bar. I'll have to try these peanut butter cookies.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Can I use baker's math for everything? For example, now that I've converted my shortbread to weights from volume can I measure all ingredients as a percentage of the flour for scaling the recipe up or down?

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yes, you can use Baker's Math to rescale any recipe, it doesn't even have to be a recipe that uses flour, just use whatever the main ingredient is as the 100% basis. Some people feel that if you are doubling a recipe you might not need to double the yeast, though that's mostly because older recipes often use too much yeast because yeast has improved since the 60's. (Salt is another ingredient that I've seen that suggestion on, I often go with 75% of the recommended salt anyway, though, because my cardiologist wants me to limit my sodium intake.)

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Aaron--I have the recipe posted here at Nebraska Kitchen and have updated it today:

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

The no knead sourdough bread is the best I've made yet.I made this one as called for in a 9x5 pan so it's a bigger loaf.It called for 500 grams of flour and I subbed 100 grams of wheat so it's a light wheat , buttered the top when it came out of the oven,I cut it tonight and it slices really good and the crumb was good.When I took the bag off the bowl this morning a big bubble about the size of a tennis ball was coming up looked like a volcano fixing to erupt lol first time I've seen that.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Thanks BA!

I just mixed up ciabatta. I'll use some for pizza tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.