What are you Baking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I need to make banana muffins soon. I also need to find some semolina locally or order it online before I can make semolina bread. I've been looking at Azure as a possible supplier.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Not sure what I will bake this week yet.

I've been buying BRM lately from Vitacost. Prices are good (at least compared to local shops), the shipping is reasonable, and the service is good.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I will be baking pumpernickel sandwich bread again after lunch today. I'm tweaking it slightly so that it will be half wholegrain by replacing 1/4 cup more cup of the bread flour with whole wheat flour. I was surprised that my husband asked me to bake it again, right after we finished the previous loaf today, but that is great, since I can experiment while the results of the previous one are fresh in my mind.

I have also been buying my BRM products from Vitacost. The prices are good, and they have had some great percentage-off sales. Shipping is free, if you spend $49 or more. Products also arrive a LOT faster than from KABC. I've also ordered sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and they even carry the Tazo black-iced tea bags that we like. It's worth exploring their site.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

My sourdogh came out nice.I halved the recipe again for two smaller loafs and one was 19oz.one was 17 oz.I kept one and gave one to my sister in law.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made cornmeal pancakes on Monday morning. I bravely used my cast iron griddle pan, and for the most part had no sticking problems. I have had the pan for a while but only used it for English muffins. I had read that it is best to heat the pan for a couple of minutes, then add the oil, spreading it over the surface, let it heat slightly, then add the pancakes. I had four small pancakes left over, so I will warm them up tomorrow for breakfast.

skeptic7
              Participant

BakerAunt;
                How did you get your griddle pan to the correct temperature? I burnt my last couple of pancakes. The cast iron heated up faster than I expected.

I made cranberry scones and a pan pizza Sunday. It was rainy and miserable so a good day to bake. Both of these were with KAF all flour so much lighter and milder than whole wheat.

There was a KAF email about making giant cinnamon rolls. I did that once but its too easy to eat an 8 inch cinnamon roll. I can't see why they suggested cutting it into slices insteal of unrolling it, where is the fun in that?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I prefer smaller cinnamon rolls, so I can have more than one. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0349

This is a 15x21 sheet pan (3/4 sized) and most of the rolls weigh between 1.5 and 1.75 ounces. They freeze well. I made this pan in mid-November and there are still 3 or 4 left, so I'll probably make more in the next week. This recipe uses a tangzhong dough and I use a compound butter rather than melted butter and cinnamon sugar, I just find it easier to spread on.

I don't frost them, I've been tempted to put on a light sugar syrup glaze. I did do one batch with some penuche frosting, but in general the frosting just adds carbs but not really much taste (they're plenty sweet), and my wife says it gets in the way of dunking it in chili.

Next time I'll be aiming for a total of 40 (8 rows of 5).

If I was running a bakery, I'd probably have to make them larger for them to sell well, but those dinner plate-sized ones are too big and have WAY too many carbs.

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

Mike;
                    Thats impressive. I have a 1/2 sheet pan for mass producing cinnamon rolls and hot cross buns and thought I was making doing well. I couldn't fit anything bigger in my oven. I don't frost cinnamon rolls either, I think it hides the true beauty of the roll.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My husband would mope if I did not frost the cinnamon rolls. I am planning, however, to cut back on the amount of glaze I use.

Skeptic--I started the griddle on a low-medium(?) heat for two minutes, then added some oil and spread it around, let it rest for maybe 30 seconds, then began the pancakes. I had just a bit of sticking on a couple of them. I used a silicone spatula that was good for getting underneath them and dislodging, in most cases, where a bit stuck. I also turned down the heat a bit after adding the second batch to the pan, as I did not want it to get any hotter.

I realized as I was cooking them that I had forgotten to add oil to the batter, but they were ok. I only realized at noon that I had forgotten to add the egg as well! Clearly, I need to organize my workspace better.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I have learned, in my maturity, ahem, and failing memory, and weakened focus to add one last step to my baking process. When I have everything mixed together, I run down the ingredient list of the recipe slowly and carefully, item by item, asking myself "Did I put that in there?". Several times I have found that nope, I started to get it out, but got waylaid! It's worth the extra time.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

When I was in college, I spent a summer as an engineering aide on an Army base near home (one of LBJ's Great Society programs), basically assisting the engineers and playing around with the drafting equipment. Two of my HS classmates worked as draftsmen, and all summer I was getting pointers from the head of the drafting room. I learned more about drawing plans that summer than I did in a course on it at college. They would draw the plan in pencil then ink over it, both skills that are obsolete now.

A standard thing to do for birthdays and such was to order a batch of cinnamon rolls from a bakery in a nearby town. It was a full 18x24 sheet pan and I think it had 24 rolls. My birthday is in early September and Northwestern is on the quarter system and the fall term doesn't start until around the 3rd week of September, so I ordered a batch to celebrate my birthday that summer the last week I was working there.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made The Best Chewy Peanut Butter cookie recipe from the NoviceChef.
                            I got 19 big cookies and they stayed soft after baking.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I wonder what makes them chewy, most peanut butter cookies seem a bit crumbly to me.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I didn't overbake them, they were very light in color and not hard at all.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Tuesday evening, I baked another batch of oatcakes. I also baked my Lime-Pecan Biscotti, using some of the limes from my lime tree.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.