What are you Baking the Week of January 14, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 14, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No real plans yet this week.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

My baking plan for today is to finish the carrot cake I started yesterday -- which was delayed because we lost power for 10 hours. I was just about to add the flour and spices to the wet mix. but just let it sit on the counter, and finished it at 8 p.m. when we got power back. It smells and looks fine. My taste tester tried it, and says it is great. I'll make the icing today - I know that will fix any issues! While I waited, I opened a brand new 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm finishing the batch of apple butter I started yesterday, cooking it down a bit to thicken it after adding the vanilla.

Might have some on some toast, a spoonful of it tasted pretty good, though.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I had planned to bake muffins for Sunday morning, but I awoke late, so I put that off until later in the week. However, in the afternoon, I baked an apple streusel pie using some of my stash of Winesaps.

It was a good day to bake, as it has been in the negative temperatures here all day. It was -7 F this morning. It is -2 F now. Tomorrow will be very cold also, with only about 2 inches of snow but some wind.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Wrong thread

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I made two loaves of Harvest Grains bread.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I usually make pizza once a month, but it has been longer than a month, so for dinner on Tuesday, we had sourdough pan pizza with some homemade sauce from the freezer, Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, red bell peppers, and on my half, red onion and Greek olives. It has not been above freezing since Friday, and today was another high of 5 F, so pizza baked in a hot oven hit the spot!

RiversideLen
                  Participant

BA, I love making pizza in cold weather, the heat from the pre bake doesn't go to waste!

I used up the last of my braided loaf yesterday so I made another small round loaf. It weighed a pound, pre baked. This time I included rye so I did not braid it.

Italiancook
                    Participant

RiversideLen, your braided round looks beautiful and perfect. Thanks for the tip about the flour. I've never made a braided loaf. I don't like the way long braided loaves look like they cut with the slices not being all uniform. At least that's the way the finished product looks to me. Your braided boule has inspired me to make my next boule braided.

Yesterday, I ordered an Emile Henry ciabatta baker from their website. It's on sale. I don't know if all their bakers are on sale. It makes 2-1 lb. loaves. I don't plan on putting the risen dough into a 500 degree baker, however. I'm going to do the second rise in the baker and hope I end up with delicious ciabatta . . . somehow. I don't care if I sacrifice a little on the crust. My preferred bread for pasta is ciabatta. It's iffy to find in the store. I've never tried ciabatta-baking because of the steam. I can't work up much enthusiasm for making steam in the oven. Of course, if it's too much of a crust reduction, it won't really be ciabatta.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Pizza tonight. We also have pizza once a month, on rotation for Thursdays because my (retired) husband still works at his old job every Thursday and gets home late.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made peanut butter cookies today.

skeptic7
                          Participant

I did chocolate cherry buns again. I changed the recipe by adding 1/4 cup potato flakes and dissolving the yeast in about 3 tablespoons of water. I mixed it in a stand mixer.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I made the levain tonight for the Rustic Wholegrain Sourdough Bread that I plan to bake tomorrow.

Italian Cook--I have some thoughts about your Emile Henry Ciabatta baker. I have the Emile Henry long baker. I've turned out excellent loaves with just putting the covered baker in the already heated oven. The lid holds the steam inside. You do not need to heat it up to 500 and then try to drop in the dough. I also have the Emile Henry round Dutch oven which I use for a roll recipe (one day, I will try bread), and I also do not pre-heat it, and the rolls are wonderful. I do suggest that you grease it with Crisco and sprinkle with farina (Cream of Wheat) or semolina. I prefer the former because it does not burn. I look forward to hearing how your bread does!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I agree Len's braided round is beautiful

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Thursday evening, I made the levain for my bread. On Friday, I baked my Rustic Wholegrain Sourdough Bread, which has grown beyond the original King Arthur recipe. I have been working on fine tuning it. This time, I added an additional tablespoon of olive oil, and increased the water slightly by another teaspoon. I baked it in a Romerhoff bowl with the cloche cover. As with the last time, it needed an additional ten minutes. I will see what the crumb and taste are like when I slice it tomorrow. I may decide that instead of just 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. extra water, I will use 2 Tbs. next time. I think that I almost have the recipe where I want it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.