What are you Baking the Week of January 14, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 14, 2024?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making semolina bread again today.

BakerAunt
      Participant

My Rustic Sourdough came out well. It has a tight crumb, so it is easy to slice. I still think that a little more water in the dough might be good, so I will try that next time.

I found a recipe earlier this week that I wanted to try for granola bars made with sweetened condensed milk from a long-ago Bon Appetit in an article titled "Baking without Butter." I think it may have been from the Cooking for Health column. The pages had been in one of my recipe piles.

Well, I have now misplaced the recipe and cannot find it anywhere, so I have been sorting through my piles, and I came across a recipe for "Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts with Maple Glaze," that had come a few years ago in a link in an email from GIR (manufacturer of kitchen utensils), so I decided to pull out some frozen pumpkin and make it. I made just a few changes in that I used half whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. milk powder and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I also reduced the white sugar from 1 to ¾ cups. These are the BEST pumpkin doughnuts that I have ever baked--and it is not just the Maple Glaze that makes them so. The texture is far superior to the King Arthur recipe that I had been using. So, even though I am still looking for that granola bar recipe--and nothing I see on the internet is it--I am happy that I found this baked doughnut recipe.

Italiancook
        Participant

BakerAunt, I appreciate your expertise on Emile Henry's products. I'll take your advice and use Crisco and farina. I have to wait until the weather breaks to do a store-run to buy the Cream of Wheat. I had planned on using semolina, which I stock. I'm glad you warned me it burns. I've printed Henry's ciabatta recipe, so once I have the farina, I'm headed to the kitchen. I brought a container of homemade tomato sauce from the garage freezer to the kitchen freezer compartment. So I'm anticipating a meal of penne with tomato sauce and ciabatta. I'm so eager for this meal that I hope I don't have a ciabatta-baking flop.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.