What are you Baking the Week of February 21, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 21, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Len--Actually, you didn't make that big of an error. Back when I wanted to substitute maple syrup for 1/4 cup honey, I googled it. There is more water in maple syrup than in honey. Here's the substitutions;

1 cup honey use 3/4 cup maple syrup
      1/2 cup honey use 1/4 plus 2 Tbs. maple syrup
      1.4 honey, use 4 Tbs.

Also, maple syrup is not as sweet as honey, so you can increase the sugar slightly, so adding a bit more sugar if you want more sweetness is the way to go.

When I'm substituting for 2 Tbs. honey in bread, I usually do a 1:1 substitution, but for 1/4 cup, I would go with the given ratio.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Thanks for the info BakerAunt. I just assumed it was a 1:1 substitution.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I had three more Blood Oranges to use, so I tried a new recipe that came in a Nordic Ware email that featured citrus recipes:

https://www.nordicware.com/recipe/blood-orange-loaf-cake/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Citrus Recipes&mc_cid=06f057c0c2&mc_eid=da940b452d

The recipe also let me use up a scant ½ cup of almond flour that has been sitting in the freezer. I made no changes to the recipe, even using the olive oil. I was concerned that the batter nearly filled the pan, and I was irritated that the recipe said not to fill it more than ¾ full. I went ahead with all the batter since I know from experience that oil cakes do not rise that much. I treated the pan with a new batch of the pan grease. I checked the cake at 40 minutes, and it was not yet done. It tested done at 45 minutes. I let it cool for ten, and then IT DID NOT WANT TO COME OUT OF THE PAN! I managed to get it out, but a chunk stuck on either end. I was able to remove it and plop it back onto the cake. The warm syrup that is brushed onto it should keep it in place. Tomorrow it gets an additional glaze.

I assume that I did not get those two spots greased vert well, although it was odd that it was the exact same spot near each end. The cake does not have much gluten, with 3/4 cup AP (Gold Medal), 1/2 cup almond flour, and 1/3 cup semolina, so it is delicate.

I'm looking forward to tasting it for dessert at dinner tomorrow and will report on it.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We had some of the glazed cake tonight for dessert. It is a tender, light cake. It has a lot of the blood orange flavor. I will definitely bake it again next year when blood oranges are back in season. However, I would cut the glaze recipe in half.

BakerAunt
            Participant

For breakfast on Friday morning, I baked Oat Bran Apple Date Muffins, a recipe that I developed from “Oat Bran Fruit Muffins,” a recipe that appeared in The Los Angeles Times food section many years ago. My version increases the oat bran by half, replacing that much flour, and uses white whole wheat flour. I also reduced the baking powder and use buttermilk rather than nonfat milk. I omit one of the two eggs and do not add grated orange pieces. I used a small traditional Winesap, which I did not peel. I used a tip from a Washington Post recipe to grind the oat bran in a food processor before using to prevent baked goods from drying out. I baked these as six jumbo muffins and froze three for quick breakfasts (just thaw on counter the night before using). I have an early morning vaccination appointment tomorrow, so I will have one for breakfast that day.

cwcdesign
              Participant

WooHoo - great news on your vaccine appointment, BA!

RiversideLen
                Participant

BA, my female sibling received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week. She said she experienced pain in the arm for a couple of days. She was told to alternate between applying heat and ice to alleviate it, she said the ice worked better for her.

Anyway, good luck, hope you have no side effects.

kimbob
                  Participant

Made kaf italian supermarket bread to go with baked au gratin scallops.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making the BBA marbled rye bread, though I did use 9 ounces of medium rye per batch instead of 6 ounces of white rye, reducing the white/clear flour by 3 ounces.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Great looking bread, Kimbob!

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Nice bread Kimbob!

RiversideLen
                          Participant

That bread looks great, Kimbob! I bet it would go good with soup too.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I wasn't patient enough with my rye bread and got blowouts along the length of both loaves. Doesn't ruin the taste, though.

We're in the middle of a thunderstorm, believe it or not!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I started a batch of pizza dough tonight, Sunday will be Pizza Day.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Kimbob, great shaping on your bread! Magnificent!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.