What are you Baking the Week of February 21, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 21, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet today. We picked up about 2 inches of snow overnight.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We didn't get snow, per se, but the snow on the roof blew off, and my husband found himself shoveling again! The wind is coming from the southeast, which is great in the summer but not in the winter when it makes it harder to keep the house warm.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked another loaf of sourdough gifted to my sister in law.

Talked with our son yesterday they are back to normal in his home electric and water on and no damage but so many people weren't that blessed.He told me he went to Walmart one day and employees were standing outside said not to enter they were closing at 5pm because they were wiped out of food.He said what if I wanted batteries etc. no matter,we're closing. Yesterday he went in another store found everything he needed.May God Bless Texas they will be devastation for many for awhile.

Italiancook
          Participant

I'm glad your son has electric and water. It's such a sad crisis in Texas.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Some people in Texas are seeing outrageously high electric bills because their chosen electric supplier had to buy power on the spot market and those prices went nuts for a few days.

chocomouse
              Participant

I baked cinnamon chip scones in my countertop oven - still experimenting and learning how to use it. I set it for 375 instead of my usual 400 because it is convection, and I never used the convection in my regular oven. I used the same timing, 24 minutes. I felt the top was too browned; it looked ready/done in about 15 minutes. However, my husband said it was fine that dark, and it was not at all dry. I think next time I make scones I'll try 350.

Italiancook
                Participant

For the first time, I baked the Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake from jennycancook.com. I had recommended this recipe to a niece who wants to surprise her husband with a scratch cake. It's only one layer, but with frosting, it'll be special to both of them. I thought I better test drive the recipe before she does to see if there's anything that might trip her. She'll do fine. I'll frost it in the morning. When my husband worked in a bakery as a kid, they made all their cakes the night before they frosted them. I'll cover it with foil & put a dinner plate over that, and it'll be fine until morning.

kimbob
                  Participant

New banana bread recipe using applesauce and sour cream. Threw in some walnuts. House smells great.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I declared Monday a day of baking, as we were out of our three essentials: granola, crackers, and bread. I started by making my slight variation of King Arthur’s Maple Granola recipe on their site. (I halve the coconut, delete the salt, and add ½ cup pumpkin seeds.)

I next baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

My third project was Millet-Sunflower Bread. The recipe is in King Arthur’s Whole Grain Baking (pp. 202-203). [Note: if you bake the recipe for the single loaf, only cook half the amount of millet it specifies, or you will have LOTS left over.] I have worked out a recipe to make two loaves and modified it by increasing the whole wheat flour and replacing 1 cup of the bread flour with high-gluten flour that I have on hand and ¼ cup First Clear flour in place of vital wheat gluten. This time I used maple syrup in place of honey, in part so that I could rinse out maple syrup jugs prior to recycling them. I also adapted the recipe to work with my Cuisinart stand mixer, and I hold the oil and salt until after the rest period. I did not double the 1 tsp. of yeast when I first worked out this recipe but used 1 ¾; however, I decided that given the whole grains, I would go ahead and use 2 tsp. The loaves had excellent oven spring (I preheated the oven to 75F and then turned it down to 350F). They are cooling on the rack. I will freeze one and we will slice the other one tomorrow. Due to the millet, these loaves need to be consumed within a few days and to be kept in a cool place. It also helps not to seal the container in which the loaf is kept.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I baked another loaf of sourdough and gifted it to my best friend.

I made up a batch of the sourdough crackers that you make BakerAunt and added onion powder,smoked paprika,dill weed,garlic and a little cumin.I have them wrapped and in the fridge ,will bake later.The dough came together nicely.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I baked the Tuxedo Cupcakes from the Iambaker site; I do not recall ever making cupcakes before in my whole life! They are good. The cream cheese chocolate chip filling stayed nice and gooey, a special treat inside the cake. This filling is simply dolloped on top of the cake dough before baking, and most of it sinks in to the center. They are a touch dry, so next time I'll try baking them for only 23 minutes at 340*.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

That sounds really good, Joan! I'd like to experiment with other flavorings, but my husband is set on the cheese variety. I have made them before with Penzey's dry buttermilk dressing mix. I recall Aaron used Greek seasoning one time.

kimbob
                            Participant

Whole wheat bread. This time I used maple syrup instead of honey. Doubt I'll be able to tell the difference. Got tons of www flour! 😊

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Everything sounds so yummy!

I made a cake today! Of course it was simple - what KAF calls the Original Cake Pan Cake aka Wacky Cake - but it was perfect for us. Whisk the dry ingredients, whisk the wet ones and combine - I was able to put the pan in the oven and take it out. Made the frosting after physical therapy. While the recipe calls for water, I used milk and I used olive oil for the vegetable oil.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Last night I made Spice Muffins from a recipe on a bag of Arrowhead Mills rye flour. The recipe calls for one cup of rye flour and one cup of oat flour. Oat flour isn't something I stock so I made it from old fashioned oats in a food processor, easy enough. I subbed maple syrup for the honey it calls for but I made an error, it calls for 1/2 cup of honey and I inadvertently used only 1/4 of maple syrup. It came out good but not sweet. I'm tempted to make a little frosting for them.

Tonight I made a batch of sandwich buns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.