What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Italiancook, I love that your niece is baking and kept trying - the English muffin toasting bread was a great choice - very beginner friendly.

When I woke up at 7 there was a text from son in NZ about baking - got on FaceTime and he wanted to make Mrs. Cindy's CC Cookies, so I scanned the recipe and was on with him for about an hour and a half - he had to prep ingredients, etc. I was able to see inside the mixer and let him know he had to beat butter and sugar longer to get the light fluffy result. They chopped local chocolate for chips. He later said they were perfect, but cooked a touch too long.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Cwcdesign I know it makes you feel good for your son to bake with you from New Zealand,wonderful how you can facetime from so far away.

I got my sourdough starter out a couple days ago it had sat so long in the fridge it took about 4 feedings to get up to par.I made a new recipe from Baking Sense "Sourdough Sandwich Bread with a soft crust"by Eileen Gray.Y'all would be proud of me I actually weighed the ingredients.I made this up this morning and panned it up about 6:30 PM.It went together easy so I'll see how it turns out,I may make another batch tonight and let it rise all night on the counter.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Lots of great baking experimentation is going on this week at Nebraska Kitchen!

On Wednesday, I took the “Steel-Cut Oat Crackers” recipe in King Arthur’s Whole Grain Baking (p. 162), which I have never baked, and made some adaptations to replace the 4 Tbs. of butter. I used 2 ½ Tbs. canola oil, which I whisked with ¼ cup buttermilk rather than water. I found that I needed an additional 4 Tbs. of water to get the dough to come together. The recipe assumes that one has left over steel-cut oats, which I never do. I ended up cooking 2 Tbs. steel-cut oats in 3 oz. of water. That probably made about 1/3 cup rather than the ½ cup, but the recipe still worked. After I combined the dry ingredients (and cut the salt to ¾ tsp. and added 1 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder), I distributed the cooked and cooled steel-cut oats, using my fingers to break them apart. I then added the buttermilk-oil mixture, before adding the water, one tablespoon at a time, and bringing it together first with a pastry fork and then with a bowl scraper. I divided it in half and wrapped one half in saran before rolling the first one out. The next time I bake these, I would wrap both halves and let them rest 15 minutes, as the second half was much easier to roll out after resting while I worked with the first half. I baked at the stated temperature, but I used the convection setting on my oven and baked on the third rack up (slightly above center) for 15 minutes, turning halfway. We had them with pea soup tonight, and they are excellent and nicely crisp. I will bake these again, as we like the flavor, and they are fast to make, especially if cut into 2-inch squares with a pizza wheel. I am delighted now to have a third cracker recipe.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Your crackers sound good BakerAunt.

I tried the sourdough bread this morning it was very good,good crumb and toasted well.I had mixed up a second loaf last night and baked it this afternoon and gifted it to my cousin he's more like a brother to me,he came for a visit this afternoon.It looked lighter I think because my starter was more up to par.I really like this recipe and will make again.It was about three and a half inches tall baked in a 9x5 as stated in the recipe I might make it in a 8x4 for a taller loaf next time.

When I made the second loaf last night I was scraping the sourdough starter container to get another 8 oz.
            but when I fed it it had doubled this morning,I was worried I had used all the goody up but that little bit that was left had so many bubbles it was very airy this morning.

Italiancook
            Participant

I'm glad you didn't have to begin a new starter, Joan. It's great that you weighed ingredients. I've never done that even though I have a scale. I really need to read the directions, because my butterhorn rolls would be more equal in size if I weighed the dough to cut it into thirds before rolling out.

cwcdesign, it's wonderful you and your son were able to bake together in spite of the distance.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

It doesn't take much starter to get a new batch going, the Tartine books have you inoculate with just 5% starter, so 50 parts water, 50 parts flour, 5 parts starter. I was doing this with my rye starter before it died and it was very active within hours.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Italian Cook--scales are great for weighing ingredients such a yogurt, peanut butter, etc. I always hated fitting those into a measuring cup, then having to scrape out the measuring cup. It's so much easier, even it it is just putting it into a little bowl for the weighing.

On Thursday, I baked “Blood Orange Yogurt Loaf,” a recipe that I found at Taste of Home, which credited it to a blog, How Sweet Eats. I made a few changes by replacing a third of the AP flour with barley flour, using nonfat Greek yogurt, and replacing the melted coconut oil with an equal amount of canola oil. I baked it in a 6-cup Bundt loaf pan with swirl design. I’ll glaze it tomorrow, but I will use the glaze from the recipe I baked earlier this week.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I weigh nearly everything these days, even the water. I have a small scale that does tenths of a gram for measuring smaller amounts, like the sugar and salt in a pie crust. (I have a third scale that measures in milligrams that I use elsewhere, but seldom use in the kitchen.)

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Hey ya'll I don't know if the difference is weighing the ingredients but my starter is off the chain,bubbling almost over the top.I use a quart jar and it's almost over it,never had this good bubbling action before.

I made another loaf last night and this morning the dough was almost to ooze over the top of bowl.So I went ahead and baked it in a 9x5.It looked really good,soft and tall so I'm happy.This recipe is what I've been looking for,may add some wheat to it next time.I gifted this to my friend.

The recipe calls for stretch and fold over several times before final rest and rise and that may help with it also.

https://www.baking-sense.com/2019/10/03/sourdough-sandwich-bread/ Eileen gray

This is the link to recipe.
                      The only thing I did different is I let the dough set on the counter overnight I didn't refrigerate it.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Great to hear about your sourdough, Joan!

I baked my Lime-Pecan biscotti on Friday since I ate the last maple cookie with my tea. The limes are from my tree, I used just 2 cups pecans this time instead of three, and that works well.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I am making the Cosmic Crisp apple pie today and another batch of Semolina bread.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I (yes, me, not Will) have in the oven Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal from Alexandracooks.com No need to precook the oatmeal - just toss in an 8x8 pan with nuts, baking powder, salt and fruit, pour over a milk/egg/maple syrup/vanilla/butter mix and bake.It was easy because I could weigh everything right into each container. I did say to Will that I wouldn't have been able to do it "by self" if it was any heavier - 😀

Hand/wrist is still stiff and a little sore - less progress than I thought, but at least moving forward

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
                            • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

The baked steel cut oatmeal sounds wonderful, I may try it tomorrow if I've still got some steel cut oats. It'd make a great brunch.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Pie is out but the way I crimped the crust didn't hold together, so there's a gap between upper and lower crust most of the way around. Might make taking it out of the non-stick pan a bit trickier. (I prefer not to cut a pie in the non-stick pan to avoid damaging the non-stick surface.) We'll see what happens after it cools.

I do have some steel cut oats, so the baked steel cut oats will be brunch tomorrow--with another Cosmic Crisp apple.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I baked another loaf of the sourdough it had a wonderful rise again,I will cut it later or tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.