What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Congratulations on another loaf of high-rising sourdough, Joan. It sounds like your starter is doing you proud.

I've planned the baked steel cut oatmeal for tomorrow's breakfast. I'm going to start it tonight. I don't have blueberries, so I'll use a Gala apple -- the only kind I have on hand. Thanks for the recipe tip, cwcdesign!

cwcdesign
      Participant

You're welcome, Italiancook - I really like this recipe - I didn't have blueberries but we did have raspberries. I've used different nuts as well - this time slivered almonds. I might use the fresh cranberries that I stuffed in the freezer next time.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Thank's ya'll I just cut the bread very soft and cuts wonderful.

I checked out the baked oatmeal recipe Cwcdesign,it looks good.

Italiancook
          Participant

I'm used to making slow cooker Irish oatmeal. Sometimes, depending on the fruit, it sticks to the crock pot in places. I dislike that clean-up. So I decided to butter my square dish for the baked oatmeal. I decided the ingredients wouldn't mix well in a buttered dish, so I mixed the dry ingredients in a small bowl before putting into dish. I probably made one unnecessary bowl to wash. I don't stock 2% or whole milk, so I used 1% and an extra large egg. Hopefully, it will set during the baking. I mixed the wet ingredients in a 4-cup measure. I barely had the 1/4 c. maple syrup -- just made it. After it was in fridge, I wished I had used 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/2 teaspoon cardamom. Another time.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My semolina bread rose funny (probably had the hydration a tad high and/or I didn't do enough stretch and folds, but it sprung up enough in the oven that it doesn't look like a flatbread.

chocomouse
              Participant

I had a problem with my bread today, too, Mike. The first rise was fine, but I didn't get hardly any oven spring, which is very unusual. I baked it in my new Breville Smart Oven, first time using that for bread. I used my usual Lodge cast iron bread pans, with the oven set at 325 for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, the top crust looked done, very brown, but it didn't seem to get much darker during the next 20 minutes. When I took it out, it was very very crusty, hard, very unusual. We'll see what it's like when cut.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.