What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 14, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

To celebrate Valentine's Day, I made my husband's favorite breakfast: Waffles. I used the recipe for Cornmeal-Rye Waffles from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book. I always reduce the salt by half. For the cornmeal, I used 1 cup fine ground and 1 cup medium ground (both Bob's Red Mill). I am gradually increasing the amount of medium ground that I use to see if it can be the only cornmeal in this recipe, as Bob's no longer produces the fine-ground whole grain cornmeal. The recipe made 11 Belgium waffles, so I have three left, which I will cut into separate squares, wrap, and freeze for quick breakfasts.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I am making a pan of brownies (box mix) today.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made a blueberry cobbler! Thanks for the idea, BakerAunt. That used up 6 cups of blueberries, 4 containers gone from my freezer! I baked it in my new Breville countertop air oven; it does a really good job baking items.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Well I tried something today I didn't have anymore pineapple juice to make the Hawaiian rolls but I had some peach juice from sliced canned peaches so I made the rolls maybe I'll call them Georgia rolls lol.They turned out just as good and light as the other ones and I made 12 rolls each around 2 oz. or a little over and made 6 rolls just a little bigger and placed them on a cookie sheet,when they rose I pressed down the middle and made a small well and filled it with beaten cream cheese and I added confectioners sugar,an egg,a little lemon juice and a heaping teaspoon of cornstarch,filled the wells and put a teaspoon of strawberry preserves on top brushed the edges with egg wash and baked about 15-20 minutes when they were baked I brushed them with butter and made a drizzle of confectioners sugar a little butter melted and a tad of milk to make it thin enough to drizzle and they looked so pretty just like a cream cheese danish.Haven't ate one yet will let you know how they taste.The rolls I made the other day stayed soft and tender ate the last one today.

chocomouse
            Participant

Love the Georgia roll idea (I lived in Savannah for 2 years). They sound yummy, plain or Danish.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made burger buns today, and added a heaping teaspoon of onion powder.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

This recipe on the Food Network site for Danish Kringle comes from O&H in Racine. I've ordered Kringle from them a few times, they freeze very well.

I've made this recipe a couple of times, the dough is very soft at first though it firms up as you go through the lamination turns and it has a strong lemon smell from the lemon extract, but the kringle itself has just a hint of lemon.

The butterscotch filling is IMHO the best part of this recipe, I've made this to fill other types of Danish with several times. It'd go great with your 'Georgia rolls'.

Kringle Recipe

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I tried the Danish tonight heated it in microwave till warm,I'm very pleased with taste and texture.I got the idea of this Danish from watching a video on KAF site of Martin baking Brioche used his technique for the roll part.

Thanks Mike for the link to the Kringle will be trying that.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Georgia Rolls--sounds like you have an award-winning recipe, Joan!

On Monday, I made the dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers (aka Baker Aunt’s crackers). I will bake them at the end of the week,

When we went to Kroger two weeks ago, I was able to buy blood oranges. I used three to bake Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Blood Orange Glaze on Monday evening. I made this recipe last year and raved about it at Nebraska Kitchen. I again substituted half white whole wheat flour. This time, I dared to use the olive oil. As I did last year, I reduced the oil from 1 1/3 cup to 1 cup and used buttermilk which I increased from 1/3 to 2/3 cup. I baked the recipe in two six-cup Bundt pans, one the traditional and the other a swirl. I will freeze the traditional one, along with some of the blood orange juice to glaze it. The other cake I will glaze for dinner tomorrow. It makes the most beautiful pink glaze. My husband suggested that since he will be shoveling snow most of tomorrow morning (it has been coming down since late afternoon and is supposed to continue until around 2 a.m. tomorrow), maybe we should consider slicing the cake at lunchtime, as he will have earned it.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Will has baked two loaves of bread over the past few days using the Zo for making the dough. The best part about the machine is making dough while you attend to other things. He made a loaf of pan de mie subbing in 120 grams(1 cup) of white whole wheat and then he made a loaf from the No Knead Cheese Burger Buns recipe from KAF subbing in 100 grams of sourdough starter. Both were excellent.

My visit to the doctor went well yesterday. I'm starting to use my left hand but the wrist needs some time to bend - he's having me push the palm and the back of the hand several times a day to get the motion going. At PT, they can still only work on my fingers until I go back in 3 weeks. In a couple of days, I think Will and I are going to try to cook or back something together since I can't lift too much - but at least I'm attempting to do things with my left hand to get the strength back.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

It's good to hear that your wrist is continuing to heal, CWCdesign. Coming back from an injury always seems to take so long.

I agree about kneading in the bread machine; it really helps with multi-tasking in the kitchen.

Italiancook
                          Participant

Yes, I'm glad your healing is progressing, cwcdesign. I hope you're able to do all you want to in the kitchen in short order.

I'm teaching a niece how to bake bread via text. Her first loaf disappointed her. I think it was a combination of wrong type of yeast and accidentally having oven at wrong temperature. I've even made the latter mistake. Yesterday, she succeeded using KABC English Muffin Toasting Bread. They had it for breakfast this morning, and she's a hero! She used it to take a sandwich to her dad, and now he thinks she's a hero. And she is, because she tried again. Now, she wants to try dinner rolls and biscuits, so I'm going to e-mail recipes to her. I'm also going to have my husband make a phone video of me shaping a loaf of bread so she can try the first recipe again. I've given her information about this site.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Hurrah! Another baker is born!

That's great that you are mentoring her, Italian Cook. Lots of baking knowledge used to be passed on as people were baking together. That's one reason I love our site here, since there is so much baking experience, and so many people willing to help each other.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Cwcdesign glad to hear your wrist is healing and you'll be back to normal soon.

Italiancook I know it makes you happy your niece is interested in baking,that'll put a smile on your face!Tell her we're all happy for her!

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Wait until she discovers things like Moomies buns! (I also really like the recipe for 4 cinnamon rolls in a 6x6 pan, it works better for the two of us than a tray of 12 or more rolls.)

A recipe that is just plain fun to make is grissini (thin bread sticks.) I like the fast way of shaping it that is in Carol Field's book. You shape the dough into rectangles that are 4 inches wide and cut off pieces of it with a bench knife, then grab the ends and pull them to about 12 inches wide and put them on the baking sheet. It takes some practice to get them even, but it is really fast once you get the hang of it, and the breadsticks will just disappear at the table!

Over the years our go-to bread has changed several times. I used to make the honey wheat bread recipe I developed 4-5 times a month, then for several years the Clonmel Double Crusty bread that Paddy posted was the most frequent one I made (I make two changes to it--I use butter instead of oil and I shape it as a free-form loaf, making it more of a Vienna bread.) For about six months it was the Austrian Malt bread (sometimes adding some semolina), but for the past year or so it has been Jeffrey Hamelman's Semolina bread recipe. (Semolina breads have a lower glycemic index.)

His recipe is online, but there's an error in the first edition of the book regarding the sugar and the version of this recipe that is online has the same error. It calls for 0.6 ounces but calls that 1/2 teaspoon, in fact 0.6 ounces is 4 teaspoons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.