Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26374
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      I made a small batch of tomato sauce today, used part of it for chicken meat sauce for pasta and the rest is in the freezer. For dinner I had penne pasta with said sauce and peas from the freezer.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26361
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        Thanks Joan. Baked doughnuts aren't as good as fried, but when you put the chocolate on them, it really narrows the gap.

        Mmmm, BA, blueberry pie is one of my favs. I should make one soon.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26353
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          In spite of the heat I made my sandwich buns yesterday. Today I made a double batch of baked doughnuts. I had some pumpkin puree in the freezer so I used 3/4 cup to substitute for 3 of the eggs (I used one egg). I reduced the sugar by an once and a half. I made it with KAF whole wheat pastry flour. Then I made a ganche with Guittard semisweet chocolate wafers that I had bought from KAF and 2% milk.

          donuts

          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          in reply to: Quiz for August 27, 2020 #26352
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I had no idea but guessed correctly.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26337
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              Today I made a quart and a half of pasta sauce from my garden tomatoes. I put in some meatballs I had in the freezer and had it with bow tie pasta. It was pretty good.

              in reply to: Hydrox vs. Oreos #26327
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Aaron, it's possible I've had them when I was a kid but I don't remember them.

                The name sounds like a laundry product to me.

                I like Oreo thins too. Never had the double stuffed.

                Newman O's are good too.

                in reply to: Clear Ice #26326
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I had to look that up, Mike, I'm impressed. And I thought I was serious about ice.

                  in reply to: Clear Ice #26321
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    The downside is that it makes large cubes that won't fit into some glasses without breaking them up (I use an ice pic). The advantage to the oversized cubes are that they melt more slowly than a traditional size cube.

                    in reply to: Hydrox vs. Oreos #26313
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I never had Hydrox but I don't care for the name. I like Oreos but think Whole Foods 365 brand version of the cookie is very good. The mismatched, one side vanilla and the other chocolate, is great. The vanilla side has true vanilla flavor and pairs up very well with the chocolate side. I don't know which brand is better, I have never done a side by side comparison, although the 365 brand gives you more for the money. This is one of those things that you don't have to declare a winner for, just sit back with your plate of cookies and a mug of hot cocoa or coffee and enjoy.

                      • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26303
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I had a bbq pork sandwich and a salad.

                        in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26297
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          That's an idea Mike. I'll have to give it some thought.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26293
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I had leftover rice from yesterday's stir fry, so I made fried rice with mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and leftover bbq pork. It came out pretty good.

                            in reply to: 2020 Gardens #26281
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Some critter(s) is eating my tomatoes on the vine. I don't know what it is, I'm pretty sure it's not the suspect pictured below because I am doing container gardening and the containers are on carts which puts the containers several feet above the ground.

                              Anyway, this was 15 years ago. I had my first tomato of the season turning ripe, I was going to pick it the next day. In the early evening I went out there to water the plants, I was standing there with the hose watering each plant individually. A rabbit came out and sat near the ripening tomato. I never chase the rabbits away. Then his nose starts to twitch and the next thing I know his mouth is on the tomato like a vampire on a vixen. Several thoughts raced through my head but then I realized this was a Kodak moment. I gently put the hose down, slowly backed away and went to the house, got my camera, changed the lens to the longest I had, went back out to the garden and found the rabbit was still there.

                              wabbit‑1

                              In this pic, he is sticking his tongue out at me as if to say, "Go get your own, buddy, this one is mine!"

                              wabbit‑2

                              • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                              • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 16, 2020? #26276
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I made stir fry with leftover bbq pork, mushrooms, carrot, red bell pepper and zucchini from my neighbor's garden. Had it with a wild/brown rice mixture.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 16, 2020? #26270
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  That's a fine looking loaf, Mike.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,456 through 1,470 (of 2,650 total)