Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,441 through 1,455 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Frustrated would-be gardeners and bakers #26648
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Over the years I have known a few people who got a bread machine, used it once or twice, then never again. Usually because the bread didn't turn out as expected. I suspect it's because of incorrect measuring of the flour as they don't understand flour compacts easily and then they end up with a dense loaf.

      While many people give up on it, there are those who stay with it. I started my bread making with a bread machine and the manual was very informative and helped me correct my mistakes. At the start of the pandemic, the guy across the street, a family of four, bought a bread machine, 50 pound bag of flour and 2 pounds of yeast. He had to buy 2 pounds because that's the way it came. He told me he loves the bread machine and he's going through the flour pretty fast.

      Hopefully flour and other baking supplies won't be in such short supply going forward because of those who have lost interest.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2020? #26555
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I roasted a couple of chickens, I quartered and froze one for later. Shortly after I put them in the oven, we had a power outage. After a little while I started to prep the bbq and then the power came back on. Got lucky with that.

        in reply to: Maple Sugar and Maple Syrup #26554
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          Chocomouse, how does one go about ordering your maple syrup, do you have a website for it?

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2020? #26524
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I made a stir fry with leftover pork, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot and peppers. Had it with wild/brown rice blend.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 6, 2020? #26514
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              That does sound like fun, Aaron.

              Yesterday I made a batch of my sandwich buns. A little while back I was watching a Youtube video and the guy said not to add the salt right away as it interferes with autolyse. I've always added everything in right at the beginning so I don't forget. But the last several times I did not add the salt and oil until the 20 minute rest was over. It really makes a difference with the kneading of this dough. Before there would usually be a portion of dough sticking to the bottom of the bowl and I would have to coax it to incorporate with the rest of it. But now that problem has gone away.

              in reply to: “Saucy Nugs” #26513
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Well, that's why the chickens can't fly.

                What about buffalo wings? I've seen many a buffalo on TV and never saw any that had wings. If they did have wings, those things would be huge!

                in reply to: Diastatic Malt #26512
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  "The first of these is AP flour, followed by barley malt (twice–an error?), and cane sugar."

                  No, I don't think it's an error. First off, it contains flour that consists of flour and barley malt. Then, they put in more barley malt. The flour by itself doesn't contain enough barley malt so they give it an added shot(s).

                  How to store, if it were me it would depend how fast I think I would use it. If it's gonna be around for a while I don't see how freezing it would hurt.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2020? #26486
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I made some pork chops and Italian sausage on the grill, I have enough for several days now.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26472
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      That looks delicious, Mike, cherry pie is one of my (many) favs, enjoy!

                      in reply to: Happy Birthday to Mike Nolan #26462
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Happy Birthday, Mike, hope you have a great day!

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26454
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          Leftovers, chicken patty with mac and cheese and a salad. A slice of blueberry pie for dessert.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26442
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I had a chicken patty with mac & cheese, green beans and leftover mushroom gravy.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26439
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              Yesterday I baked a batch of sandwich buns. Today I made a blueberry pie. I used the oil crust recipe from Jenny Can Cook, 2 1/2 cups AP, 2 tsp sugar, pinch of salt and a half cup each of oil and milk. I did sub out 1/2 cup of the AP with 1/4 each of almond flour and KA whole wheat pastry flour. That made the dough a little harder to handle but it didn't present any real problem. I have to wait for it cool down now, I'll probably have a slice later.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26432
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                Joan, I find that ground chicken can dry out since I'm a little paranoid about it and cook it until it's very well done. So I got the idea about mixing in bread crumbs with a liquid much like you would do for meatballs. This made the chicken mixture pretty soft but they cooked up nice. I sprinkled a little paprika on the top to give them a little color. I'll show a picture of one.

                                Yesterday I had one of my chicken patties and made a mushroom gravy and had it with rice. Also a large salad.

                                IMG_0894

                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020? #26414
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I took some ground chicken, mixed it with bread crumbs that I hydrated with chicken broth, an egg, seasoned it with a little celery seed, onion and garlic powder and paprika. Then I formed it into patties and baked them. I overdid the chicken broth a little and it could have used a little salt but overall I am happy with it. I ate one on a bun and had a salad with it.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,441 through 1,455 (of 2,650 total)