What are you Baking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

no specific baking plans here yet

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made KABC Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. They're best if set overnight. Then, I'll cut them for the freezer. This recipe works best if all the ingredients are prepped before actually starting. I didn't write that on the recipe last time I used it. The activity of making the batter goes so fast that I was in the weeds trying to measure ingredients as I went.

I also made pizza dough for later in the week.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. The dough is divided into four sections, which each section wrapped in saran in the refrigerator. I will roll out and bake later this week, after they have time to develop deeper flavor.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I shelled a lot of pecans on Monday afternoon. A cup of them went into another batch of Maple Granola that I made this afternoon.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I have been craving brownies, so I pulled out the recipe for King Arthur’s Deep Dark Brownies. I always bake it in a 10x10 ceramic square dish rather than the 9x9 pan the recipe specifies. I find that the center did not cook well in the smaller metal pan, and this one, that KAF sold in the past, is perfect for this recipe. I made a few changes. I used white whole wheat flour rather than AP. I replaced one of the three eggs with 1 tbs. flax meal and 3 Tbs. water. I replaced half the vegetable oil with buttermilk. I use water, rather than strong coffee, because the recipe also specifies expresso powder, and my husband has his limits when it comes to coffee taste—even though he would still devour them! I could have left out the optional chocolate chips, but I instead used 30g (about ¼ cup) rather than the 1 cup I would have happily until two years ago. The recipe is best when it sits overnight, but there is no chance that at least a few brownies will not be eaten tonight.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Yesterday I baked a batch of sandwich buns. Today I made a blueberry pie. I used the oil crust recipe from Jenny Can Cook, 2 1/2 cups AP, 2 tsp sugar, pinch of salt and a half cup each of oil and milk. I did sub out 1/2 cup of the AP with 1/4 each of almond flour and KA whole wheat pastry flour. That made the dough a little harder to handle but it didn't present any real problem. I have to wait for it cool down now, I'll probably have a slice later.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm making pie dough tonight, so I can make a cherry pie tomorrow. I'm also making carrot cake tomorrow, using some of my frozen carrot puree.

Friday is my birthday, and this weekend is my wife's annual garage sale for charity, having missed the last 2 years due to a variety of reasons. The garage is pretty full of donated items, I'm hoping most of it sells! So, we'll have friends over tomorrow and Friday for setup, and then running the sale Saturday and Sunday, and I'm in charge of feeding the crew.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I got the cherry pie filling made but will roll out the pie crusts and bake it tomorrow, I did get the carrot cake made today.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The cherry pie is out, and delicious!

cherrypie

I think I got too much nutmeg or clove in the carrot cake, it is good but has a strong spice taste to it.

I used the left over pie dough to make two 4" pecan tarts, but I left them in the oven too long and they are a bit over-baked, though still edible.

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

That looks delicious, Mike, cherry pie is one of my (many) favs, enjoy!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

These were made with local (Nebraska City) pie cherries, and it tastes great, though I tipped the pan at some point before it went into the oven, spilling some of the liquid, and that's why one area looks different.

I'm looking forward to another piece after supper.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Love that pie Mike,sure looks good.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

It's a lovely pie, Mike.

Back in the July 12, 2020 baking thread, I wrote about my attempt to bake “Buttermilk Blueberry Coffee Cake,” a recipe from the King Arthur 200th Anniversary baking book using oil rather than butter. Although it had good flavor, the blueberries sank, and it stuck to the pan. On Friday evening, I baked the Buttermilk Blueberry Coffee Cake again, using my oil substitute and whole wheat pastry substitution, and addition of 2 Tbs. flax meal. I followed Cass’s revisions and used just ¾ cup buttermilk and ½ tsp. baking soda. I also prepared the pan as he instructed me. The cake baked well in the same Bundt pan—no sinking berries at the bottom. I did follow Skeptic’s suggestion as well to put some batter without blueberries in the bottom of the pan before I mixed in the blueberries. I only had a little bit of sticking, and I think that was because I missed two small places. The cake came out beautifully and is cooling. I look forward to slicing into it tomorrow. I made it with the last of our fresh blueberries. All the rest have been frozen.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

It seems to have been a quiet day in the kitchen for most people.

We ate the last of the bread for lunch on Saturday. I selected another recipe that makes three loaves; we are eating it quickly, baking three and freezing two saves time. I used “Marilyn’s Sourdough Oatmeal Bread,” from The Baking Sheet (Autumn 1998). It is a long-time favorite of mine, but as it calls for ½ cup of butter, I have not made it for several years. I decided to play with the recipe and use 1/3 cup oil and more sourdough starter and wholegrains. I also used maple syrup rather than honey, as we are low on honey, and I added 2 Tbs. maple sugar. The dough had a nice rise both times and excellent oven spring. I look forward to cutting into one at lunch tomorrow

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.