Wondering about Grapeseed Oil

Home Forums General Discussions Wondering about Grapeseed Oil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I started using grapeseed oil for some cooking because I like that is is neutral, more so than canola, and can withstand higher heat. I also use it to brush down my Cheese Crackers before baking. I had been using grapeseed oil from Aldi's, but in the early days of the pandemic, we will sticking close to home, so I bought a bottle of "International Collection" Grapeseed oil. I noticed that it is not as thick as what I bought at Aldi's, and I prefer it over the Aldi's brand.

I also noticed that the International Collection brand lists 1 gram saturated fat per Tablespoon, while the Aldi's lists 2g per Tablespoon. I checked another brand at Kroger, and it also listed 1 gram per Tbs. What I'm buying now is more expensive than what Aldi's sells, but I prefer it, so I will buy it. I'm just wondering abut the difference in saturated fat. Perhaps it is the kind of grape seed?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Might have to do with the type of grape or the way it is processed (grape seed oil is a byproduct of wine-making.)

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for your thought, Mike. Next time I'm in Aldi's, I'll also read the label of their product and see if there is a difference in how the two are produced.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I have GrapeOLA grapeseed oil, it shows 2 grams of saturated fat per tbsp, it's a product of Spain and is made from expeller pressed refined grapeseed oil.

I wonder if the differences are the result of testing methods or rounding, i.e. 1.5 being rounded up to 2 or being rounded down to 1.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I checked, and the brand I currently used says "expeller pressed" and product of Portugal, Italy, and Spain.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The USDA says that 1.5 gets rounded up to 2 and 1.499 gets rounded down to 1. A tablespoon of oil is around 13 grams. So, a difference of less than 1 percent in terms of the amount of saturated fat present could cause what has to be listed on the label to flip from 1 to 2, a difference of 7.5 percent.

BakerAunt
                Participant

That makes sense. However, I did notice that the viscosity of the grapeseed oil that I am using now is less than that of the Aldi's grapeseed oil, so I'm not sure it is only about rounding up or down. For me, the choice is less about .5 or more grams of saturated fat and more about what works better in terms of brushing my crackers, browning meat, or sauteing vegetables. What I'm trying to figure out is why the two, from my observations, perform differently.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I wonder if the viscosity is related to the amount of saturated fat?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.