What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 20, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably more leftovers here tonight.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We will be enjoying leftovers tonight as well.

On Sunday, I made another batch of yogurt.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked a sirloin tip roast in oven I first seared it on top added some dry onion soup pack and a can of golden mushroom soup baked it for 3 hours low and slow,very tender.With that we had mashed potatoes and garden peas.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, I made Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach Dijon Mustard Glaze. I also cooked some farro in broth from the freezer, which I mixed with red bell pepper and sliced mushrooms sauteed in grapeseed oil. We had microwaved green beans as well. For this dinner, the red bell pepper and the green beans came from our garden. We still have a couple of red bell peppers, but this may be the last of the green beans. With the pumpkin snacking cake for dessert, it was the perfect dinner to celebrate the autumnal equinox.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I had a bagel and some peas, my wife had soup. I'll be having soup a lot next week, I'm having a crown prep on Friday. (She had one last week.)

Joan Simpson
              Participant

My husband had BBQ plate from a local restaurant ,I had a hot dog.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I had a hamburger, broccoli and carrot and instant mashed potato.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had chili out of the freezer.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I cooked chicken on top of stove with BBQ sauce for a gravy over mashed potatoes and garden peas.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Thursday, I made another batch of tomato sauce (about 3 cups). As I cannot use the 4-qt. Calphalon pan anymore, due to the loss of its anodized coating, I looked around and realized that the 12-inch All-Clad round roaster pan, although not quite as deep, would work. It performed admirably and cleaned up easily. I expect these tomatoes were the last major batch, although some are still ripening on the vine. So far, the weather has allowed them to continue. If we get to where freezing weather is forecast, then we will pick any that remain and ripen them in the house.

For Thursday dinner, we had the remaining leftover Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach-Dijon glaze, with one of the Queen squashes from our garden. I halved it lengthwise, lightly rubbed with olive oil, and baked for 40 minutes at 400F in my countertop convection oven. I then turned them over and stuffed them with a combination of bulgur and the leftover farro, mushrooms, and red bell pepper mix. I put a little bit of 2% cheese on top. These baked for an additional 20 minutes at 375F.

I realized that with the zucchini in the meat loaf, the Queen squash, and the pumpkin bread at dessert, we ate three kinds of squash this evening.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

It is supposed to be in the 90's here on Sunday, but the high for next Tuesday is 67 and the low for next Thursday/Friday is around 36. BRRR!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Our dinner on Friday night was Salmon and Couscous. I used 1 tsp. dill, ½ tsp. chives, and a bit of salt and pepper as the seasoning. We had fresh microwaved broccoli as well.

It was close to 80F today. The wind is blowing now, but it was still this morning, which made for perfect kayaking. It's the first time I've been able to do so since that ankle sprain over five weeks ago. That's because we have to carry the kayak down the stairs to the lake, and that requires both of us. After an intense week, I needed the peace of floating in the kayak.

chocomouse
                            Participant

BLTs again tonight! In spite of a couple of light frosts, I still have many, many huge, red, perfectly formed tomatoes; plus tons of paste tomatoes. But I'm tired of making sauce, we have enough, the freezers are full. So this was the last BLT meal.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I cooked chicken-n-dressing with giblet gravy,mixed greens,candid sweet potatoes,cranberry sauce,fresh rolls and with half of the dough I made 9 cinnamon rolls.Why wait for Thanksgiving.I had plenty left for another meal and I froze 2 qts. of dressing for later on.

BakerAunt I'm glad you're healing up and getting around better.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I agree, Joan! So-called Thanksgiving food is good year around!

On Saturday, I made another batch of yogurt.

Saturday night’s dinner was Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms, and Rice, a recipe that I adapted from John Waite’s One-Pot Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms & Rice, which was featured on The Splendid Table website. I replace the basmati rice with a 50-50 mix of brown rice and Lundburg mixed rice, and I scale it so that I can do either six or eight chicken thighs. I found that the rice I use works better if I first bake it for 20 minutes, then add the chicken and roast for an additional 45-50 minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.