What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 6, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I may not do much cooking today, either, though originally I was planning to do a chicken on the grill outdoors.

A cold supper sounds good in 98 degree heat.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We wound up doing tacos.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made some pork chops and Italian sausage on the grill, I have enough for several days now.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

No cooking here I had a bologna sandwich my husband soup and sandwich.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I spent much of Sunday cross stitching a particularly challenging section of my current project, so Monday is the day to be back in the kitchen. I made broth using the bones frozen from our last turkey, along with those of the chicken we had this week. (Does that make it Churkey Broth?) I also made another batch of tomato sauce, which I hope to use in a recipe tomorrow if I can get spaghetti squash at the grocery. I skipped the Farmers Market this week, as there are so many weekend and summer people here for the holiday—most coming from virus hot spots.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I started marinating a chicken in white wine earlier today, I plan to cook it on the rotisserie later this afternoon.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For Monday dinner, I thawed gravy left over from when we had turkey. I cut up the rest of the leftover chicken and added it to the gravy, along with some dried parsley and chives. I cooked half a package of spinach noodles, then combined them with the gravy and chicken. It made enough that we can have it for dinner tomorrow night as well. We had it with microwaved frozen peas.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made a chunky tomato sauce, with peppers, celery, and onions, garlic and Italian seasoning, and lots of basil from the deck, served over cavitapi and a small loaf of maple oat bread from the freezer that needed to be used. It was a nice change from grilling with fresh vegetables, signaling a return to colder weather eating patterns.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Tuesday.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I made another 5 quarts of tomato sauce for the freezer. We have plenty of tomatoes still ripening, and temps in the 80s this week. We also had BLTs for dinner.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

My wife thinks we may lose our tomato plants tonight, the low is supposed to be around 42 with a 'real feel' down to 28 already. Warmer weather will be back on Friday.

I remember one year we lost the garden around our anniversary (Sep 17th), but this would be the earliest ever.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a stir fry with leftover pork, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot and peppers. Had it with wild/brown rice blend.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Mike, spray them with water first thing in the morning, sunrise, and you might save them. Or, go out and throw a sheet over them tonight. In the low 40s, the plants most likely will not be killed, but if the cold is prolonged, the tomatoes won't ripen. So pick them all and ripen inside - put in cardboard boxes and separate with layers of newspaper.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

It's supposed to rain all night, I doubt spraying them with water will be necessary. The high for tomorrow is about 50, with another cold night tomorrow, but then it's back to the 70's and low 80's for a couple of weeks.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I hope that your garden is ok, Mike.

With more normal temperatures on Wednesday, I made a pot of soup, using about 10 cups of the broth I made earlier this week. I used 1 ½ cups of the Bob’s Vegi-Soup mix of red and brown lentils, split peas, and barley, as well as sliced carrots, chopped celery, a red bell pepper from our garden, about 1 Tbs. dried onion, some dried parsley, and 2 tsp. of Penzey’s Ozark seasoning. When I tasted it after an hour, it seemed to be missing something, so I added a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, and that fixed it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.