Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,486 through 4,500 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25899
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      The semolina/malt bread came out really dense, it almost looks like it had been baked in a pullman pan. Slices really thin as a result, very good with Cardinal Preserves.

      in reply to: Parchment Paper Question #25896
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        These appear to be Quilon sheets, which technically aren't parchment but are what many commercial bakers use. I have a box of them, they brown a little faster than parchment does and I seldom even try to reuse one.

        See Quilon sheets

        in reply to: Daily Quiz for August 1, 2020 #25895
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          My fault, the preview question and the actual question didn't match up, the preview one was missing 'not'.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25889
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I'm making a loaf of bread today, using the Austrian Malt Bread recipe but with 50% semolina and 50% AP.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25872
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              We had cheese tortellini and a salad.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25865
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                The one-way signs on the grocery store aisles would be less annoying if the aisles weren't so long! I'm convinced they add several minutes to an otherwise well-planned shopping trip.

                in reply to: Serious Eats Article on Flours #25862
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  The amount and value of information made available to US retail flour consumers is pitiful. Large-scale customers can get detailed reports on their flour, though I still see a fair number of posts on the BBGA forum from commercial bakers trying to figure out how to deal with a batch of flour.

                  The more I learn about flour, it seems the more I have yet to learn. Recently I've been reading a book on flour milling first published around 1905. I find it easier to read than the standard text on flour mills (Posner & Hibbs, costs about $168 on Amazon) and I suspect roller mills haven't changed a lot in the last 115 years.

                  I haven't bought much whole wheat flour since I got a flour mill, so I can't say much about the brands out there.

                  I normally keep KAF AP, KAF bread, Gold Medal unbleached and a store-brand bleached flour on hand, plus KAF pastry flour and some kind of semolina. Recently that's been BRM, because that's the only semolina available locally. I'm going to order a bigger bag of it soon, now that I've got a freezer I can store it in.

                  For cake flour I go with one of the bleached cake flours, like Swans Down, I have not been impressed with KAF's unbleached cake flour and I haven't tried BRM. I don't use a lot of cake flour, I probably haven't bought it in 2 years.

                  There was a post on the BBGA forum a while back that linked to a document about European flour grading standards on a country-by-country basis, with a lot more information than I've seen anywhere else.

                  Here's that link again.

                  European Flour Standards

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25859
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Around here several of the stores have their first hour reserved for elderly and high-risk customers, usually 8AM to 9AM, and from what I hear that's the most crowded part of the day. At least one of the grocery chains has apparently gone back to being open 24 hours a day, but shopping at 2AM isn't on my bucket list, either.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25845
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      THIS 'old folk' sure isn't getting up at 6AM to go grocery shopping!

                      in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25828
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I read where contact tracing may run afoul of HIPPA rules in the USA.

                        in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25823
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          There was a story/opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal last night about how there are virus outbreaks all over the world, many in places that have been cited as models of how to do it right like Japan and Korea, because people won't follow social distancing rules, required or not.

                          Contrary to what the media would have you think, it's not just a USA problem, it's not a red state vs blue state problem, it's human nature on a world-wide scale.

                          Here's the link, I don't know if it is behind their paywall or not:
                          WSJ article

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25814
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I've had my iPhone for 2 1/2 years and I'm still finding things I don't know how to do on it.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25813
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I had tuna salad in a tomato, my wife had tuna on a lettuce salad.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25806
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                tomato and salami sandwiches

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 26, 2020? #25801
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Looks like that was the problem.

                                  In addition to the laptop problem, our upstairs SubZero freezer isn't cooling properly. I was thinking of doing it anyway, following the lead of another poster, but I went out and bought a 7 cubic foot freezer today and am transferring the important stuff out of the upstairs freezer to it. The repairman will be here Thursday, hopefully it'll be an easy fix, but most of the time it takes a week or more to order parts.

                                  Eventually I plan to use this new small freezer to store mostly flours and related baking items.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,486 through 4,500 (of 8,095 total)