What are you Baking the week of June 7, 2020?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 7, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

My apple pie turned out well,yep Kimbob we're on the same page.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've been thinking about making Irish Apple Cake using the apple pie filling I have in the freezer, but I'm waiting for some cooler weather.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Yesterday I made Stella Parks whole wheat bread. I used my KitchenAid instead of the food processor. Much easier as the mixer could hold the entire batch at one time and clean up was much easier.

I know Ms. Parks says the food processor is faster but if I need to divide up a batch into two or four it ends really being faster in the mixer where I can do it all. And I used the mixer bowl for the autolyze so I did not have a bowl and the food processor to clean. I haven't cut into it yet but will today. From teh outside everything is good.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Congratulations on your experiment, Aaron. I suspected that it would work, based on my experience with her pumpkin maple bread, but I'm glad that someone has now put it to the test. I eagerly await your report about the interior and taste.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Well, I went back to the original recipe for this test and only made a single batch. So now I need to go back to my changes (I reduced the hydration a little) and increase it to a double batch and see how that goes.

Ultimately my goal is to get it to where I can do it by hand unless/until I can buy a bigger mixer. My is a 5 qt so it is overwhelmed pretty quickly. The engine can handle more than the bowl can hold.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made brownies from a box mix. I threw a few raisins and walnuts on the top.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made a rhubarb crisp.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

One of the things you have to be careful about is that as dough develops, it gets stiffer, so the strain on the motor increases. I've read of people who've burned out a 5 quart KA mixer with a really stiff dough.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Thanks. I came close w/my 4.5 quart. It still smells like smoke when I turn it on. That's why they gave me a 5 quart. I wanted an 8. ๐Ÿ™‚

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Meant to reply about English muffins vs bread. I've seen two types of recipes - batter and dough. I have a friend who swears by his batter recipe. And they are great but too messy for me - pouring the batter into rings on the griddle.

I like my dough recipe. I've never made a loaf of bread from it but I've used it to make dinner rolls which were well received.

You can probably use either to make either.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I like the Easy Buckwheat Oat English Muffins recipe posted here at Nebraska Kitchen. Their only downside is that the buckwheat will cause them to mold after a few days, so any not being eaten within two days need to be wrapped and frozen.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

When I've made English Muffins, I've found they have a short shelf life, probably because the interior is so moist. I generally only make them if I know I'll be using them within a few days. I don't think they freeze well, but your mileage may vary. Commercial recipes are loaded with preservatives.

I"ve done both the batter and the dough ones, I liked the dougn ones better and I thought they were less work to make, too.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Things are usually eaten before they go bad in my house. I had a loaf of whole wheat bread go moldy because my boys like the sourdough better. But then we were out of sourdough and the whole wheat went in two days - it was a 2+ lb loaf.

I make pancakes on Sundays. My middle usually eats six - two batches of three - and eats half a pancake at a time. I am slowly increasing the diameter because I want to see how big a piece of pancake he will put in his mouth. His nickname in the family is Snake Jaws.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

When I made the English muffin recipe on KAF site I made a half batch because they'd mold before all eaten as well.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Ah, so it is not the buckwheat causing the issue. That makes sense, since I had no problem with the Dark Grains Bread that includes buckwheat. We lost the last part of my millet bread because my husband was in one of his "cut back on bread" moods, which had I known, I would have eaten it. My husband is also helped out by our bread dog, who loves any kind of bread, but I have requested he cut back, as she is about 5 pounds overweight, due to her refusal to take walks. She is sensitive to loud noises, and we live in an area of constantly starting construction projects, not to mention people target shooting. And then there are the fireworks and thunderstorms.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.